We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP laptop- Can't open Firefox?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a 5 year old Medion XP laptop. Every time i start it i click on Firefox and it asks me if i want to contnue my last browsing session, which i do. Today, when i click on Firefox nothing happens? No egg timer or anything.

Please can i ask has anyone any idea of what i can do to fix this?

Thank you.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Is it a Desktop or Quick Launch Shortcut that you're clicking on? If so, creating a new shortcut might resolve the problem.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Errmmm...the one in the task bar (Bottom left hand corner, next to the start button)?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

First thing to try when encountering a problem of this sort is to switch off and reboot.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Thank you. I have done this and checked to see if system restore is an option but unfortunately it was not switched on- Grrr!

What now, please?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Can't see how system restore comes into it ! Have you tried uninstalling Firefox and then reinstalling it ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Go to, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and click on firefox.exe if that opens it ok then you know it is just your shortcut next to the start icon that is corrupted.

so delete that one and in the above program file rightclick on firefox.exe and create a new shortcut and drag it down to the quick launch bar next to start button. (then if you want you can rightclick it and rename to get rid of the words 'shortcut to'

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I went to program files and, oddly, there is no Firefox. Surely it can't have uninstalled itself?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Very odd, who knows what could have happened. Anyway, now is your chance to reinstall it and start again !

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Rightio! Is there any chance that my history will still be available?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

right click on the icon then properties/find target

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014