We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Checkdisk problem. It switches itself off.

telkell

Likes # 0

I try to run checkdisk .It accepts my entry but says the check cannot start until I close down and checking will start at next start-up. At next start up the following message appears...."Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Local Disk. One of your discs needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check,but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Disk checking has been cancelled. Windows has finished checking the disk".

The boot up then continues as if I had started normally.The message only appears for about 15 secconds then goes blank. I had to photograph it to see that I had read it properly.I could see no way of continuing the check as suggested. This is on my Dell laptop with XP.

Any suggestions,please??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like you may have a key stuck down - pressing any key cancels disk check.

Like this post
telkell

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestion, which is certainly logical, but I have not been able to identify any sticking keys, which does not mean it isn't happening Whats the answer ? Do I have to take the top off bevery key and blast it with an aerosol?

Telkell

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try my computer.Right click C Drive and choose properties.Tools.Tick both boxes and reboot.

If you did it that way the first time ignore this.

Like this post
telkell

Likes # 0

Thanks for suggestions, but Fruit Bat was right. A good clean up and air blasting around the loosened keys did the trick and everything is back to normal. The next run of chkdsk cleared a number of minor ,but irritating glitches and speeded everything up. One word of warning for anyone thinking of doing this, It is fairly straightforward with a PC keyboard, but this was on my laptop, and the key fixings are a bit more fiddly and delicate ... and it is easy to lose tiny plastic bits, so go very carefully !!

telkell

Like this post
telkell

Likes # 0

Thanks for suggestions, but Fruit Bat was right. A good clean up and air blasting around the loosened keys did the trick and everything is back to normal. The next run of chkdsk cleared a number of minor ,but irritating glitches and speeded everything up. One word of warning for anyone thinking of doing this, It is fairly straightforward with a PC keyboard, but this was on my laptop, and the key fixings are a bit more fiddly and delicate ... and it is easy to lose tiny plastic bits, so go very carefully !!

telkell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015