We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why am I getting an "Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown" message?

Sonya

Likes # 0

On Friday I installed new security software (BT NetProtect Plus) & all seemed to be fine. So yesterday I started to run a full scan but was called away for about 30 minutes. When I came back I had to press the power button to take me back to the desktop but found that the scan had stopped & the whole thing was totally unresponsive. The only way I could get it to switch off was with the power button. When I started my laptop again a “Startup repair” was recommended, after which I got this message: Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown Now every time I start my laptop its unresponsive for a good few minutes after reaching the desktop & then I get this same message. After that it seems ok. Can anyone tell me why I am getting this message & if there is anything I can do to stop it. Any help would be gratefully received. Son

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

If you uninstall BT NetProtect does the problem still occur?

Make, model and specifications of the laptop would be useful.

Like this post
Sonya

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply. I have uninstalled Bt NetProtect but am still getting this message.

The laptop is a Sony VAIO VPCEB3E1E. Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) Processor: Intel® Pentium® CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.86 GB usable)

Sonya

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try a system restore to a point before the installation of the BT software.

Like this post
Sonya

Likes # 0

I tried using System Restore but there was only one Restore Point (even when I checked the box to show more points) which was after the installation of the BT software & so am still getting the same message.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Surprised by the lack of points. Sorry but I'm stuck.

Like this post
Sonya

Likes # 0

As an alternative to System Restore, what about if I restore the laptop to its factory settings (using "VAIO Care Rescue"). Do you think this would solve the problem? Perhaps this sounds a bit extreme but I've only had it 18 months & haven't created that many files on it as I only really use it to go on the internet (never for work). Thanks once again. Sonya

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Morning.

Yes restoring to factory settings should sort the issue. Save any documents etc. to a usb stick. You can also save your favourites to the stick and if you have any e-mail contacts, the best way to save these is to export them to the usb stick, as .csv ( comma separated values ) then they can easily be imported once the laptop is working again.

Note also W7 will spend a while downloading and installing updates and you may have to re install your antivirus software. The whole process will take best part of a day to complete but you don't need to be sat in front of it all that time.

Like this post
Sonya

Likes # 0

I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?