We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to run a non-destructive repair of Windows 8?

Pineman100

Likes # 0

I am heartily sick of my new Lenovo Windows 8 laptop. It always seems to have some problem, somewhere. Among its annoyances are:-

• It won't restart. If you click "restart", the screen shows the word "restarting" with the whirling wait symbol, and just stays like that indefinitely until I crash out with the power button.

• It take ages to shut down. After clicking "shut down" the screen goes blank normally, but the computer continues to run for at least 3-4 minutes before switching itself off.

• If I open Windows Explorer, I have to wait at least three minutes before I can use it while a green progress bar crawls across the address bar at the top, showing the word "Libraries". I do have a large collection of photos on the computer, but this never used to happen.

I want to run a full non-destructive repair of Windows 8 64-bit. With Windows 7 this used to be easy. You just ran the Windows disc and chose the repair function. However with Windows 8 it seems that the only choices are;

• to "refresh" Windows - which preserves my data but removes all my software except that which was factory loaded, or

• to completely wipe out everything and perform a clean reload of windows.

Is there any way I can run a repair of Windows 8 from the system partition on the HDD without damaging any of my software or data?

All advice gratefully received, please!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I'm not sure there is a 'Repair' option as it existed in XP and W7; the only options I have found are in this W8 Recovery Options article. You can run the sfc /scannow option in W8 which should check all the essential files or there is a Troubleshooting Guide which may help if something is causing conflict/file corruption.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Dump Windows 8 and return to Windows 7. I was dual booting Win 8 and 7 but the amount of problems I had with 8 reminded me of Vista which was another OS I used very breifly. Hopefully Windows 9 will cease the riduculous obsession Midrosoft has of making even the most simplest of operations on a PC more of a game of hide and seek.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You might want to check out this post in Windows8 Forum

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Click on to the search on the right panel.

Type Repair into the box.Click on settings.and choose refresh Refresh.

Now you may loose some of your programs doing it that way and not sure if you have to run W/Updates again so best waiting for advice from someone who has already tried it.

I had to choose reinstall W/8 again as I took files and folders with me when I upgraded.it did not work properly so I had to run W/8 again without taking files and folders with me.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Many thanks for those replies.

I will try sfc /scannow to see whether that works. However, I am reluctant to go through the hassle of a "refresh", which will mean reinstalling all of my own software.

I have seriously considered reverting to Windows 7, which was an excellent OS. Windows 8 is, in my opinion, an absolute dog. It may be fine for a smartphone or tablet, but on a computer it's ridiculously complicated, compared with previous versions.

I'm astonished that there's apparently no repair function for Windows 8. What a huge backwards step!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Refresh on W/8 is the same as doing a repair on other windows only you do not need to install the Windows CD.

AS Far as I know it keeps files and folders I am just not sure about security programs or others that you may have installed.

If you get fed up with W/8 and are thinking of going back to W/7 try this out first as it gives you the start button and all program back.

It makes W/8 much easier to use but others like it as it is.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Are you to late to send the laptop back.How long have you had it.

You had already thought about the refresh sorry did not notice.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

I suppose I could ultimately talk to Lenovo about rejecting the computer, but I went down that route some years ago with another company. It's a nightmare! They just dig in their heels and say that the problems have been caused by the user and/or someone else's software.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia