We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need Help With Upgrading HP Pavilion

ZketchGeek

Likes # 0

Hi, I'm needing a fair amount of help upgrading my HP Pavilion (model p6-2022uk model. System specs found here: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1288900/hp-pavilion-p6-2022uk-desktop-pc-bundle )

So far I have bought this PSU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005TDRHV8/ref=ohdetailso00s00i00

But what I need now is a suitable graphics card for my system. I have found one in particular, which is where the help is needed. I don't know if it will be compatible with my system. Here is the graphics card I have my eye on: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sapphire-amd-radeon-hd-7750-pci-e-graphics-card-1-gb-14732471-pdt.html

Would this be suitable for my system? Thank you for any responses.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Nothing wrong with the GPU and will fit in your system.

Like this post
ZketchGeek

Likes # 0

Thank you, now I must ask, what type of games should that be able to support on PC?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Depends on the type you like to play,if you give me an idea I will hopefully be able to help you. The 7750 is a budget graphics card with the advantage of reasonable performance in modern games so it should not be to bad depending on the game.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronos: I'd have described it as 'mid range' rather than 'budget'... :-) I'd guess that the 7750 would be able to play games like Skyrim, Battlefield 3 and so on - fairly graphically demanding games - at moderate-to-good frame rates, but not in maximum settings. On less demanding games like WoW, it should be pretty good.

Before ZketchGeek invests, I'd suggest he looks at the recommended spec for the games he wants to play and takes it from there.

Like this post
ZketchGeek

Likes # 0

Well how about games such as Saints Row 3, or certain shader mods for Minecraft? I have previously been suggested this card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00776DHXW/ref=oxscacttitle1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE but I feel like I can get a card just as good as that for less than £100

Like this post
ZketchGeek

Likes # 0

Also I must ask, with the new PSU I have bought, do I need to also buy a new power cord? (the one that plugs into the wall, has the small box and then connects to the desktop tower)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

PSU: This will come with a electrical socket to power supply cable.

GPU: 7770 vs 7750 Compare. As you can see the 7770 is the better card and is not much more than the 7750.

Ian in Northampton

At less than a hundred quid the 7750 is a budget card and whereas it might well play the games at 'moderate-to-good frame rates' I see little point in upgrading to a GPU that will definitely struggle with up and coming games. If you are going to upgrade then as far as a GPU is concerned you get the best you can afford. It is the nature of game makers to make ever more graphically intense games which mean lower end GPU's soon struggle unless all setting are turn right down.

Like this post
ZketchGeek

Likes # 0

Hey again guys, so I've found your advice with everything so far to be extremely helpful, which leads me to yet another question. This question is, if I was to buy more RAM : a) What size of RAM should I be adding onto my desktop for maximum capacity? b) What make/model/type of RAM do I buy?

If any of you 2 are able to find out this, could you perhaps supply a few links with RAM that will actually function with my computer?

Thank you, once again, for your time. Good day.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

This is the RAM compatible with your motherboard but it might be worth using the Crucial scanner to make sure.Bear in mind if your operating system is only the 32Bit version then there is little point in putting in anymore than 4GB and looking at the specs for your PC you already have that. If your operating system is 64Bit then your motherboard supports up to 8GB.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

May I ask what is the OS going to say about all these changes? it may throw a message up that its not licensed

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...