We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this a good build for a basic music production PC?

djaerod

Likes # 0

I'm looking to build a new PC for music production, done a bit of research and to my price range this is what I have come up with:

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM with Service Pack 1

MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA1155 Full ATX Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4GHz Unlocked LGA1155 Processor 6MB L3 Cache 5GT/s Bus Speed (Boxed)

Silver Based Thermal Grease - 1g Tube

8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz Memory Module

RL Value 600 Watt BigFan ATX Power Supply

Arctic Alpine 11 GT Rev.2 CPU Cooler (for Intel LGA775/1155/1156)

Seagate 500Gb SATA-3 6Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

EzCool HA-900B Gaming Case (No PSU)

Arctic F9 92mm Case Fan

I already have a DVD RW drive (SATA II) but been told that shouldn't be a problem as all I will be using it for is to install the OS. Also I will be getting an audio interface and graphics card at a later date.

I build and repair MDT's for a living so I am pretty comfortable with building my own PC but just wanted opinions on this combination, what do you all think?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I would maybe get a better quality PSU . Its worth the extra pennies . And unless you are going to over clock CPU , why bother with the unlocked K model , save some pennies and get standard chip .

Like this post
djaerod

Likes # 0

600w is more then enough for what I am going to use it for, but quality wise you are probably right. The reason for the unlocked K model is because I'm still umming and aaring about using this in the near future for gaming, and the i7 is way too overpriced for what it is. Apart from all of that, does it look like a good build?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Looks fine . 600w on the PSU is ample , I run a highly overclocked gaming rig on a 600w corsair enthusiast , more than up to the job . Of course budget is always the master of what we decide to build !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features