We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Restarts on its own

K*B

Likes # 0

Hello Tech Helproom friends. My PC running Win XP Home restarts by itself in the middle of use, sometimes very crucial use. I need to fix this immediately & I know you can help me do it. So, what's the fix? Thanks in advance. I await your response.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Yes Fruit Bat /\0/\, my machine is more that 5 years old and running XP Home. I'll first try replacing the PSU. If that fails then maybe I'll have to try renewing the thermal paste under the heatsink? I'll get back to you shortly friends. Thanks a bunch!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would not be changing the PSU, unless you have a spare one,until you have run the tests I linked to.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks folks, the auto-restart problem in my desktop has stopped. Guess the culprit - the PSU. I had a spare PSU so I replaced the one on the PC and voila!! The auto-restart stopped. Thanks a million for your smart ideas. But hang on ...... there was another problem with the pc even before the auto-restart problem showed up. I'd just been ignoring it. The problem was that it would'nt recognize USB devices like a memory stick, in fact I have a brand new memory stick that got damaged by the pc when I stuck it into a USB port on the same pc. Can you help me fix this USB port problem too? What about the stick, can it be fixed? Thanks. I await your smart fix ideas.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger