We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Restarts on its own

K*B

Likes # 0

Hello Tech Helproom friends. My PC running Win XP Home restarts by itself in the middle of use, sometimes very crucial use. I need to fix this immediately & I know you can help me do it. So, what's the fix? Thanks in advance. I await your response.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Could be caused by any number of reasons, overheating,bad memory,corrupt driver,unfortunately the list goes on. Does it happen after around the same amount of use? Do you get any error messages?

You could look in the event viewer after it happens and you should see a red circle which should have some sort of message which you can post here.

If it is caused by overheating then this will mean taking a side off the PC and with a soft brush and a vacuum cleaner make sure all the fans are clean including the one on top of the processor.

If it is ram or a driver issue hopefully the Event viewer will give us a clue.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Auto-reboot disable: When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message. To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
  2. Go to Advanced
  3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
  4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Thanks friends. Chronos the 2nd, the restart happens randomly. It doesn't happen after around the same amount of use. As Fruit Bat/\0/\ puts it, the restart is too fast for me to see any error message if at all. Fruit Bt/\0/\, I never get any blue screen at all. The restart is very fast indeed. I'll try both of your suggestions and get back to you.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Hello again guys. Fruit Bat/\0/\, I have tried your suggestion, that is: un-checking "Automatically restart" under System Failure as in your thread above. Strangely, the pc still auto restarts. It appears that the auto restart is so often it is hard to capture the error messages in Eventviewer. Chronos the 2nd, I was in Eventviewer but the pc restarted right there! I noticed that all the error messages with red circles and white crosses in them are application errors; there were no system errors! Yesterday, the pc restarted while I was in Eventviewer. After the restart I went back to Eventviewer and found an error message under systems. The problem is that I don't understand any of these error messages. I thought unchecking "Automatically restart" as suggested by Fruit Bat/\0/\ would stop the rebooting so I can record the error messages correctly. I'll try harder to record the error messages and post them right here for your attention and help.

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Has anyone been working on this PC recently? Had the motherboard out for some reason? I'm asking as restarting on an old PC I worked on years ago was caused by a screw being left behind the motherboard after the motherboard had been removed by the owner so he could check it.

It could also be caused by overheating, a faulty PSU or a problem with the physical start button or it's wiring.

If the PC restarts even though you have disabled auto restart then it is far more likely to be a problem with the PC itself rather than one with Windows.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It will not give a error message if its Heat, If it does it under intensive use I would say that the CPU heatsink may need clearing if its a Desktop, if its a Laptop, only true way is to strip and clean it

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

No, the pc casing has never been opened, infact it has never been to a workshop. It has been working fine all this while. Besides, its use has been light, not intensive. This auto restart problem is getting worse over time; it started happening once in a while towards the end of last year (2012) but today after observing it over a longer period I realised that the pc auto restarts after an average period of 6 minutes! Just imagine working at a pc that auto restarts every 6 minutes!! I was able to note down some log messages as follows: In the Application Error Records Log in Event Viewer, the following were typical errors:

TYPE SOURCE CATEGORY EVENT Error Application Hang (101) 1002 Error Application Error None 1000 Error ESSENT Logging/Recovery 454 Error ESSENT Logging/Recovery 494 Error ESSENT Database Corruption 470 Error ESSENT General 490 Warning Userenv None 1524 Error Crypt32 None 3 Error VSS None 8193 Error EventSystem (50) 4609 Waring WinMgmt None 5603 Warning WinMgmt None 63

In the System Error Records Log in Event Viewer, the following were typical errors:

TYPE SOURCE CATEGORY EVENT Error Windows Update Agent Software Sync 16 Error Serial None 45 Error Sermouse None 1

The Security view under Event Viewer had only security audit records. The Internet Explorer view under Event Viewer had no record items showing.

This is the reporting concerning my PC. What about virus attacks? Do PCs sometimes behave this way when virus infected?

Like this post
xox101

Likes # 0

Turn it off and take the side off. Then check to see if the processor fan or/and PSU fan need to be cleaned. This is the first thing to do before looking for a problem with Windows.

As I have already said if a PC auto restarts on it's own despite being set not to then that points more to a physical problem than an OS one.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Bad hard drive I would say. Too many errors. Window can't cope as can't read drive at times.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Sounds like dust in the heatsink to me. The way they work is to pull the air into it which unfortunately also pulls in dust and packs it in between the fins and as you say the side has never been off it could well be. Also it will be more likely if the tower has been left on the floor!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded