We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wxp outlook express emails on disc export to w 7 thunderbird

chippy+

Likes # 0

hi can i export outlook express emails which i have on usb drive to thunderbird on windows 7 i am changing from xp to w7 thanks chippy

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

as the link won't work I've copied the relevent post

wjwarren4269 wjwarren4269 July 19, 2010 02:50 In OE, File->Export->Address Book... and select the Text File. Choose a handy location for transport to Win7 computer if necessary (e.g. flash drive, DropBox, etc.) and retain the default '.csv' extension. Somewhere in here, you select the fields you want... might as well select all.

In TB, Tools->Import... select Address Books, then Text file, and then for the file selection dialog, select Comma Separated in the bottom right. You'll need to match-up fields, checking the box for the first record being the field names. Select the TB fields on the left that you are populating, then move up/down those fields to match with the named records on the right; you canmove to subsequent, populated records to check what data is there. OK completes the import.

For the mail folders, I'd first recommend an IMAP mailbox such as Google that syncs your access across platforms/devices. There you can create folders as you need and no longer worry about local access, and you can move your mail to a temporary account if you don't prefer that setup.

If you do simply want to move folders directly... you're looking for the folder C:\Documents and Settings\warrenjo\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities{31391EF3-B3AC-4F12-94D8-DC2DA45E9526}\Microsoft\Outlook Express, wherein your Windows Login and GUID are very likely to be different. Close OE to stabilize the contents, and then you can copy out those DBX files that correspond to the folders you want to copy; some appear to be for other purposes. In fact, the Folders.dbx file just might be necessary.... Put those that you want into a directory for import (the whole directory is taken at once).

In TB, Tools->Import... select Mail, then Outlook Express, and then the directory with the folders you want (if on the same computer, you could just point here to the original directory and import everything). On OK, it imports the directory into Local Folders->Outlook Express Import, giving you a chance to integrate them yourself into TB's structure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September