We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wired to wireless - is it possible?

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

We live in a very long (100ft) narrow old house with numerous thick walls. Wi-fi reception is fine at one end of the house, where the wireless router is (and has to be), but patchy at best at the other end.

I ended up installing a wired network to all the upstairs bedrooms, so each bedroom has an Ethernet port.

However, my lovely lady wife likes nothing better than to lie on her bed playing games on either her phone or her tablet. She would therefore like wireless connectivity in her bedroom.

Ideally, there would be a device that you could plug into the Ethernet socket in her room that would convert the wired signal to a wi-fi signal.

But: does such a thing exist? I’ve seen so-called wi-fi range extenders, but these seem (I may have misunderstood) to operate on the principle that you locate them mid-way between the wi-fi router and where you want the wi-fi signal to reach to, and they then, in effect, amplify the signal. That’s not really what I want.

Anyone have any ideas?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Have you thought about using 'Powerline Home Network Adapters'?.

Plug into any home power point socket, connect one to your router, and then you can have either a wired or wireless connection in any other location on the same power line.

Costs about £25/£30 a pair, with advantage of adding more to a network set.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Ideally, there would be a device that you could plug into the Ethernet socket in her room that would convert the wired signal to a wi-fi signal."

Here's what you need Ian. It's primarily designed for travellers who need to convert the Ethernet connection in their hotel rooms to a wireless one.

Given its tiny size, I wouldn't expect the wireless to reach to distant rooms but it's ideal for your wife's requirements.

I haven't tried it myself but the Amazon reviews are excellent and PC Pro Magazine gave it their "Recommended" award. At under £17 it won't be the end of the world if it fails to live up to its promises.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys. Spuds: sorry - I should have mentioned. The reason the house is 100' long is that it used to be three cottages. What that means is that it has two separate electricity supplies - meaning that the HomePlug system won't work, if I understand correctly. (the house also has two separate central heating systems...)

Secret-Squirrel: that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Many thanks. You're right, the reviews are superb - and it's well priced (I can't even find it cheaper (from a reputable source) on eBay.)

I shall get one on order. :-)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I was just thinking about what Secret Squirrel said, having discussed with my wife the fact that I seemed to have found a solution. She asked "So does that mean I could get wireless in my office (which is under her bedroom, and which has an Ethernet socket, but that's no good for her phone/tablet) and in the kitchen (which is a little further away?"

[Wife in 'changing the rules mid-stream' shock...]

So I did a bit more research, and it seems that 'all' I need is a wireless router - something like this. It's not as cute or portable as SS's recommendation, but perhaps has greater range - for just a few pounds more.

Am I barking up the right tree?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Ian, as you're now looking to extend the wireless range with something more powerful then this should in principle do the job nicely. It's basically the grown up sibling of the other TP-Link I mentioned earlier.

The Dynamode product you linked to is primarily a router for those folks that get their broadband via a cable connection. However, if it can be configured to access-point-only mode then it should work fine. It may just work straight out the box but I can't guarantee that. I'm not familiar with that brand or model so I can't comment on how well it'll perform.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September