We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has gmail changed any settings recently?

Onizuka

Likes # 0

I have one email account which I use exclusively for friends and family and a different one for internet log-ins, on-line purchases, etc.

Although I do get the odd spam email on the “internet” account they are very few and far between. Conversely, I receive a fair amount of spam on my “personal” account which, I assume, is down to sloppy security by friends and family resulting in my address being harvested by spammers. I have found gmail’s spam filter to be extremely effective and it is extremely rarely that I have to mark anything as “Not Spam”.

However, this week I noticed I hadn’t received either of the twice-weekly PC Advisor newsletters and was surprised to find them in the Spam folder of my “internet” account. Similarly, I was equally surprised to find in the in-box of my “personal” account a financial newsletter which I long ago marked as spam and which, until now, has always been put straight into the spam folder. I have never subscribed to this newsletter (and even if I had I would have used my “internet” account and not my “personal” account) and I hesitate to click on “unsubscribe” as it would confirm my account as live.

Has gmail changed anything in the last week or two to account for this?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Nothings changed for me. Small amount of spam (one or two) and that's on an account I always use.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

this week found i now have google plus in top right of screen never asked for this, cannot find how to delete the icons.

otherwise gmail is first class spam filter works very well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made