We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 nearly as bad as vista, help needed please

moonraker50

Likes # 0

I have recently bought a Lenovo i5 desktop pc with windows 8 pre-installed in a small partition, hence no OS disc. Is it possible to downgrade back to Windows 7 at not a great deal of money, as I feel windows 8 is another mistake (like vista) maybe it will be better when a service pack is released Money is tight I cannot afford another PC.

Thank you in advance

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Can I suggest that you re-post this in the Windows 8 Forum where you are more likely to get some help.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you read this link it might help to answer your question but it does specifically say that you can only download from Windows 8 Pro so check the version you have installed.

If you can't do that then you might think of installing some third party software that makes Windows 8 look more like Windows 7. I chose to use Start 8 Click Here while others have selected Classic Shell

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

you could try a distro of linux. im still using windows xp home and linux

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I was unsure about W8, but having been using it for a couple of weeks, I'm now happy. As a bit of a Luddite, I am using the Classic Shell that chub suggested. Boot time for this PC is just 25 secs - compare that with the 5mins for Vista!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

As onthelimit1 says there is a very big advantage with Windows 8 and that is the boot time, mine is also around 20-25 seconds from pushing the start button to having a working desktop. I would never go back to Windows 7.

Like this post
The Old Mod

Likes # 0

I was unsure about Windows 8 at first, but having used it now for a few weeks would not go back to Windows 7, boot time to desktop 20secs.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Off topic but... On 4+ year old Vista laptop including typing in password is 69 sec to desktop, working desktop 80sec, 87 sec to typing into Google. Nowt wrong with vista.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement