We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is FireFox slow today?

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

Taking for ever to load pages. Using Chrome at the moment.

FF 18.0.1. This version has been noticeably slower since I updated.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok will try for that update to Eset thanks for the info.

I ran the custom scan and had everything ticked.

Just removed Firefox and about to reinstall it again.

I usually download the English version but noticed that I must have downloaded the US version the last time so wondering if that is why it was a tad slow.

Will soon find out.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , read your post with interest. I know you use a program for the 'start' option in win 8 and possibly don't see the Tile page. I don't use foxit anymore, have 'reader' from the tiles an have removed Java. Disabled Java in FF and it runs as good as ever.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Yes you posted that for me on one of the threads and it took me to C/net to download it. I don't like downloading from there so gave it a miss.

As it was a new program it only got 2 out of 5 for reviews so that put me off as well.

I have removed both Java And Foxit and just about to reinstall Firefox so with a bit of luck both will be removed from the add ons.

You can either use the tiles or you can use the start menu you have a choice of what you want to use.

Just updated to the latest version of Eset and that looks promising. Unfortunately I don't think it is checking my e-mails as I got a bad one this morning And Emisoft jumped in and stopped it when I tried to open it.

At least I think it was Emisoft either that it was Eset but not on that computer just now to check.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e 'reader' is already installed via the Start (Tiles) page in the 'Cloud', if you know what I mean. I posted the link just to show what 'Reader' can do. All of what Foxit can. Reader can do nothing if the start page is disabled by a third party program that disables parts of the OS.

In my humble opinion you are missing out what 8 can give by using it as 7.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

Did a reboot to get into safe mode and there it was the tiles were back and I never had a clue how to get to my personal folder.

It is only one click in all programs but never found it on Tiles.So only one winner for me and it is not W/8 with Tiles.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Jock1e , you've lost me this time. What was only one click? Personal folder? Do you still use the Windows folders for docs, music , photos etc, tied to the libraries?

I've created my own so Microsoft can't snoop.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

FF and other sites are reluctant to load as well. BBC iplayer loads immediately.

My Nexus 7 Boat browser is having the same problems showing ' connectivity problem'. It shares the same router as the PC so am wondering if it is a Talk Talk problem. which seems unlikely in view of other posts.

I don't have Foxit or Eset.

If I uninstall FF and re-install presumably it will find all my bookmarks?

Will wait till tomorrow and see if any improvement.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Chrome is playing up now so I think a MWB and a Kaspersky scan is called for here.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Now back on FF where this site is loading in a flash. (no pun intended)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd reboot the router.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...