We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Free Anti-virus?

Legslip

Likes # 0

Over a number of years I have used and installed on friends PC's various free antivirus programmes including AVG, Avast and Microsoft Sec. Essentials to name but a few. However, I am now finding that my friends using AVG 2013 are receiving prompts to upgrade or download software trials and in their nievety are pressing the accept buttons. This results In me receiving problem solving phone calls.

As a consequence, when this occurs, I am removing AVG from their PCs and installing MSE which sits quietly in the background. Has anyone else noticed this problem or can offer any other solutions?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I did have problems with Avast on windows 8 for a while so had to uninstall and use Defender (MSE equivalent on 8) until Avast sorted the problem. I've now reinstalled and it's working OK. Be aware that you will have to untick Google Toolbar before installing or select custom install. You even have to be selective on the once trustworthy C|net downloads.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not an Anti-virus but the best £12 you will ever spend.

Emisoft

You can get the 3 user one for £15.It gives you peace of mind and even if you open a doggy site it will stop anything from downloading on to your computer.

Anybody not sure of what security to use for the best look no further.

You could use that with any free anti virus well almost any I would not trust MSE very much, It is as poor as W/defender at stopping problems.

If you have just started and a bit of a learner Put Emisoft on your computer and you will not regret it.

Maybe they should be paying me commission on sales but just happy to pass on my experience of using the said program.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

rdave13

[ once trustworthy C|net downloads.]

I have to agree with you on that one,I stay well away from downloading anything from C/net now.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Jock1e - As I said earlier I am quite happy to have the full version of Emsisoft and use Avast Free normally unless I am Beta testing another AV. Emsisoft do offer a referrals program by the way which extends your Personal licence by 30 days - have you not "clocked" that?

Having said that, it is a brilliant piece of marketing which means that you personally are recommending the software and if after the 30 day trial period the third party decides to switch back to the Freeware version then so be it. To be honest, most do, and I end up sorting out their computers again within 6 months. Hence my comment about it has paid me back several times over.

Some people have an averson for paying for anything. It is part of their culture. They use bittorrents for illegal free music and films, watch "Live" TV from illegal sites, namely football, and then get caught out with a virus.

Happy Days for me!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Taff™

From north of the border so you know we will always go for the free if any available, But when you get a good program at a decent price you have to go for it.

We like our wee bargains as well you know.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Taff™, on the other hand people use Farcebook and expect a PC TO WORK and not expect problems. Most don't download from torrents and get stuffed with the likes Google toolbar or worse, Babylon, when they download legitimate 'free' downloads from reputable sites. Not classed as malware for some reason.

My partner wouldn't know malware from measles, except measles gives you red spots. It's underhanded the way toolbars, search engines etc., can infect your PC even though not 'classed' as malware but that is what they are in reality.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

rdave13 - Totally agree. When I ask people why they have Google/Ask/AVG/Norton/McAfee/et/etc toolbars, and do they ever use them the answer is invariably "No" and they "just appeared". Most people have google.co.uk as their homepage and aren't aware that on most recent browsers they can search from the address bar. (What's that they ask!)

We digress - FE will move us to Speakers Corner shortly!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Taff™ digression is the art of conversation, be it digital or analogue.

Like this post
AllanP

Likes # 0

To be honest I don't really like MSE, even though it's quiet in the backround it doesn't feel like it's doing much. I've been using Unthreat Antivirus and I really like it, it doesn't slow down my computer and it gets the job done.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'it doesn't feel like it's doing much'

What do you mean by that? If you're not getting any viruses, it's doing it's job!

As an aside, Windows 8 includes a new version of Windows Defender, which is essentially the same/similar to MSE. If you decide to install third party antivirus, Defender is automatically switched off. If you subsequently uninstall, Defender turns back on auotmatically.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad