We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Free Anti-virus?

Legslip

Likes # 0

Over a number of years I have used and installed on friends PC's various free antivirus programmes including AVG, Avast and Microsoft Sec. Essentials to name but a few. However, I am now finding that my friends using AVG 2013 are receiving prompts to upgrade or download software trials and in their nievety are pressing the accept buttons. This results In me receiving problem solving phone calls.

As a consequence, when this occurs, I am removing AVG from their PCs and installing MSE which sits quietly in the background. Has anyone else noticed this problem or can offer any other solutions?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

In my opinion MSE is as good as many and far less trouble. I use it in conjunction with SpyBot S&D, Malwarebytes and have SpywareBlaster sitting in the background.

For any who want simple antimalware and want SpyBot I suggest the older version of the start centre.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Interesting John. You seem to share my thoughts. Yes, Ido similar and use Malewarebytes & Superantispyware. I also put these on friends machines and run them occasionally via Teamviewer as they are otherwise both passive.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

For free anti-virus I would recommend Avast for serious consideration. On all my computer's, it works in the background, daily updates and does the job intended.

Regarding other safety or protection programs, I find that installing to many have a defeating circle of possible errors, with perhaps negatives or positives providing confusing information.

On my computer's, its a case of Avast, SuperAntiSpyware with addition of CCleaner first and foremost. They all seem to do the job for free, with regular notified updates. If you like the free products, then you can upgrade to the paid versions, but I have never found this necessary, in all the years I have used these products.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use (all free) Avira (as anti virus); Superantispyware, Malawarebytes and Spywareblaster, and CCleaner. I also use the W7 Firewall. No problems in 18 months. Put MSE on a grand daughters laptop as it auto updates. Also no problems. I do back up with ATI images and clones to other drives.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I too have had a couple of friends contact me regarding AVG's free trials and switched them to Avast. To be honest I have a real dislike to this type of self promotion although I realise that in the commercial world companies have to promote their paid for products.

Even Malwarebytes now has the free trial option ticked by default on installation and if I've told Java that I don't want the Ask Toollbar once I've opted out a dozen times.

I have a lot of respect for Norton as a paid for AV and it takes a lot of beating by the free one's. Emsisoft is also a paid for option because it has got my friends out of problems so many times it has more than paid me back for the annual investment

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses so far and very interesting. I think my point is that on friends PC's, they do seem to be suffering more than ever the downloading of software, and in some instances Malware, that they do not want. It seems as mentioned to be commercially driven. I use CNET quite a lot and you do now have to be very careful when downloading to untick all the other crud that would come with the programme you are trying to download. It is just that inexperienced PC users seem to be suffering more. I have had three calls this week relating to such problems as having Home Pages hijacked.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree AVg seems to have "lost it" now over bloated and annoying

Avast is my first choice for all windows systems

MSE is OK if vista onwards

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Legslip

It is just that inexperienced PC users ...

Perhaps there is a need to have McAfee Site Advisor or WOT installed to warn of bad sites - I know they are far from perfect but better than nothing. As for software that installs toolbars/searchbars and similar there appears to be a need to get the user to read the box offers as they appear - a pain at times but very necessary as sites rely on advertising/usage revenue a lot.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat & John Drew. Does Avast not keep asking to upgrade to Full Copy or prompt for this that & the other? If not, sounds good.

That's the problem John Drew, even upgrades to things like Adobe contain already ticked boxes and novice/general users do not understand them and get caught. It's a shame really but keeps me busy!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast occasionally pops up with an ad after its updated it self but just ignore or even switch of the pop ups (i leave on so I know I have latest updates.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite