We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Having problems with Firefox settings

gav223

Likes # 0

HI.

Can someone please help me with sorting out the settings in Firefox.

I have just started to use it over Safari, but it starting to become a pain. Everything I read doesn't seem to work.

I just want to be able to open new tabs and it open directly with the home page.

When I click the home button it takes the current page to the homepage, but adds another tab not with the homepage.

Seems pretty straightforward, but I've tried a few things and nothing works.

Cheers.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

You have to tell FF that you want a new tab to open with your homepage url or some other webpage.

In the Address bar type, about:config and press Enter.

The about:config 'This might void your warranty!' or 'Here be dragrons' warning page may appear. Click 'I'll be careful, I promise!', to continue to the about:config page.

Type, browser.newtab.url in the search box.

Double-click the browser.newtab.url preference and change the string value url to what you want, you can change it to about:home for the Firefox Google home page, or type in your preferred home page, for example google.com. (you don't type the www's)

Click OK and close the about:config tab

Now when you open a new tab that is the page it will display.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm a bit puzzled about "When I click the home button it takes the current page to the homepage, but adds another tab not with the homepage"

Are you saying clicking the home button causes another tab to open? that doesn't sound right to me.

To open a new tab you click on the + on the right of the last open tab

Tab opening options are in - Tools | Options | Tabs

Like this post
gav223

Likes # 0

Thanks very much lotvic.

I've managed to sort that tab issue out now.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

glad you got it how you wanted :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

you can close this thread by clicking on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked 'Resolved'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement