We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer won't connect to internet via TP link power line.

csmith1000

Likes # 0

I have got a TP link wireless router connected by TP link power line ethernet adapters connected to my sky box, one to Samsung Smart TV, which both work fine the third I have connected to my computer. This shows up as as a local area connection but with no internet access. I have similar problems to other people with internet access dropping out after installing Windows * and had hoped an ethernet connection would be more stable. Any thoughts on why I can't connect to the internet via my powerline adapter.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Check that the PC has got its correct IP address from the router by running ipconfig /all in a Command Prompt window. Press the Windows Key + R to open the Run box, type in...

cmd.exe /k ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. It should probably have an address starting with 192.168

Like this post
csmith1000

Likes # 0

The identified i.p. address is shown as 169.254.140.42 (preferred) does this need changing.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

A "169.254" IP address is one which Windows has allocated because the PC has been unable to get its correct address from the DHCP server (your router). This address won't let you access either the router or the internet. Check all the connections again.

Like this post
csmith1000

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. It led me to do what I should have done in the first place checked it on a working system and it looks like the problem is a faulty power line. Off back to Maplins..

Like this post
csmith1000

Likes # 0

Sorry should have read faulty power line adapter..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks