We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extend range of wireless router

TN

Likes # 0

I have a Talktalk Router which has a wired connection to my desktop computer. I have been trying to connect the router through wireless to Sky's On Demand receiver in our living room and to my tablet and iPhone in my bedroom but the wireless signal does not reach either of these locations. Is there any way of amplifying the wireless signal to accommodate these two locations. Although we live in a bungalow there are three walls between the two areas. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. The router is a D-Link Model DSL2780. I am using Windows 7 Professional.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Have you tried changing the wireless channels on the router?

Like this post
TN

Likes # 0

No I haven't - is it easy as I am not too technical! :-)

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

One of these > http://www.belkin.com/uk/null-Belkin/p/P-F9K1106?q=::categoryPath:/Web/WSNT/WSNTWLS will extend your wireless footprint but be aware that others are available at less than half this price!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

we are with talktalk their supplied routerhad poor range, replaced it with a bought maplins belkin one got excellent signals thought our house well worth paying for router.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I prefer to connect router to Tv box with a set of home plugs that use the house wiring to transmit the signal see here

Like this post
happyhacker

Likes # 0

1stly is your router centrally placed meaning its signal has optimal coverage around your bungalow? If not try to do this.

Like this post
TN

Likes # 0

Many sincere thanks to all who have answered my plea - I think the best answer is to buy a new stronger router.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Best to see if you can return it if it doesn't do the job.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I too live in a bungalow with the router situated in a room at the front and connected to my main PC. My Galaxy Tab 10 along with a Smart TV are in a room at the rear of the house with three/four walls in between. Both the Tab and the Smart TV are able to access the router without a problem. I would suggest in the first instance just check out the channel being used. I am not familiar with your router and therefore cannot advise as to the method with particular unit, but I would imagine that the manual should advise you. Going down that avenue initially will not cost you anything before you start incurring expense. As already stated you could try moving the router - again without cost to you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days