We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Information on Router Password Kracker Required?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have installed a download called Router Password Kracker from Security Xploded that was obtained from the Majorgeeks website.

Seemed a simple to use application, but I have found this not so.

Do you know this program, if so, how do you set it up?.

The reason why I want to use this program, is due to a problem of trying to connect wireless free to a laptop, that doesn't want to accept the connection or password. I would add that I have mentioned this problem before in another posting a few months ago, which is still hasn't been resolved successfully.

If you do not know Router Password Kracker, then would you have another possible or similar download suggestion?.

Using XP Home as main but Vista on the laptop.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I think the problem is using Quick start instead of basic. Trouble is these links shows different pages when logging in to the router. I would go the 'basic' way myself as you'd then know the type of security and the key and the SSID. You'd then just use the info to connect wirelessly on the vista laptop. No need to connect with the Ethernet cable.

What I'm puzzled about is that there seems to be two types of pages you get on these routers when logging in? Might just be my ignorance of the router, though. Have a look at these links,

Basic

Quick Start.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try this:

The only info you need from your Router is the Wireless Password and make a note of it.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/broadband-wireless/wireless-usernamepassword-reminder

Connect the laptop with an ethernet cable first, then follow the instructions on the Vista page to Add a wifi network that is in range (in step 10 you unplug the Ethernet cable) Then I would think you would have to click on connect to the wifi or reboot pc so it automatically connects.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/broadband-wireless/connecting-wirelessly-using-windows-vista-sp2

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Morning lotvic. If you're with Talk Talk can you explain why I got two different landing pages showing for that router in the links? The days of having to connect a laptop via Ethernet to connect wirelessly have long gone now surely? Hate to try and connect a tablet to it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Check you have switched on the WiFi on the router. There is a button to press on the side of router

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

rdave13, morning to you as well, and goodnight, this is my last post before switching off. Landing pages - it was two different models, the 520s and the 520b. (b & s, there's a joke in there somewhere :))

I think the problem is Vista and the way Vista needs to add the network. Tablets and modern routers are easy if they have WPS.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Quite right lotvic, missed the b&s,! I'll use being tired as an excuse. So on the 'b' router is it possible to set up the router manually instead of the quick start? I'm getting deja vu here with my time with AOL :(

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I expect that you have tried a myriad of things to try to sort it out. Don't know if you have seen this article that may just throw up something you haven't tried. I remember when I had a Vista laptop - I too had some problems setting up the wireless connection. What fixed it for me was disabling ipv6.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I once tried a New Toshiba Laptop that would only connect to my router Wireless was if I changed the Wireless to WAP in the Router, Needles to say I took the Laptop back

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks again everyone for the further inputs. I have tried many suggestions, and when I mentioned earlier, the IT person I used contacted TalkTalk and between them got the system working. For some reason later, I lost this connection and cannot remember why, and have tried to reconnect since as time allowed (the laptop was purchased about 3 years ago, and is rarely used) ad hoc?.

I will sit down with this (in front of another computer)and study the advice or suggestions being given, and try a few things. Hopefully this exercise will bring some answers very shortly?.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

spuds , ever thought of going it alone? Get a cheap router, something like this. Don't use the 'easy set up CD' but configure manually. The 'BASIC' link I posted gives you all the info you need to connect to TT except the name and password which TT have given you or updated to connect to TT within the router.

Worth having a backup router anyway, I have two, as when they go belly up they can also take out your telephone connection. I found that out with an elderly Netgear that lasted me years. Once I unplugged the dead Netgear (lights working but no-one home) the phone worked. But that's by the by.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'