We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5100 won't boot up.

Desingning5

Likes # 0

This laptop was bought from a private seller. I bought it online, these are the system specs. I tried to make a partition on the C drive and after restarting it, the only thing that popped up was an error screen that I can't get past. I did not make rescue disks for it I've tried to restore by pressing "0" (before I turn it on). I have tried to go the start up settings by pressing F8 but the screen just flickers. What else can I do?

This is the link to that error message: http://goo.gl/C24Ux This is my Toshiba laptop: http://goo.gl/8BqbA

Like this post
Desingning5

Likes # 0

I'm so frustrated that I forgot to thank you for your thoughtfulness... Thanks you my friend!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't really know what's happened since you tried to create a partition. With UEFI bios the C partition uses GPT file system and not the MBR system. I've not studied it yet . The Forum Editor suggested that on new Win 8 laptops there's no Windows key label on the bottom of the PC. Check yours to see if you have one. If not then reformatting won't help as you won't have a key to reinstall win 8. What I'm puzzled about is that it won't boot from the DVD drive or USB.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've gone through the links I can see in this post again and your bios screen looks to be the ordinary type not UEFI? When you changed the boot order in the bios, to CD first, did you save and exit? When you boot up with the DVD in the drive did you press any key when asked, to continue booting from the disc?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

tap the F8 on boot - as soon a screen flickers hit ESC and tap F* again as rapidly as possible to get the Advanced Boot Options menu.

As it not a Mac, you will have a x86_64 (64-bit) UEFI 2.x firmware.

UEFI uses a special partition in the partition table called "EFI SYSTEM PARTITION" in which files required to be launched by the firmware are stored. Each vendor can store its files under /EFI// folder and can use the firmware or its shell (UEFI shell) to launch the boot program. An EFI System Partition is usually formatted as FAT32.

See here for MS explanation on GPT disks and use of UEFI

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers