We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5100 won't boot up.

Desingning5

Likes # 0

This laptop was bought from a private seller. I bought it online, these are the system specs. I tried to make a partition on the C drive and after restarting it, the only thing that popped up was an error screen that I can't get past. I did not make rescue disks for it I've tried to restore by pressing "0" (before I turn it on). I have tried to go the start up settings by pressing F8 but the screen just flickers. What else can I do?

This is the link to that error message: http://goo.gl/C24Ux This is my Toshiba laptop: http://goo.gl/8BqbA

Like this post
Desingning5

Likes # 0

I just meant to do a clean installation over the existing OS. Isn't that possible?

Like this post
Desingning5

Likes # 0

What would my option be then if I want to wipe the HD and reinstall the OS?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It looks as if you've knackered the MBR of the drive, if UFEI has such. You could take it out and reformat using a caddy and another PC. Unfortunately you've the new version of the BIOS called UFEI and I'm not familiar with yet. If you can't boot to the OS you can't install over the old OS.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

From the link, "1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery."

Have you tried that?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Getting late and I have to sign off. Will look in tomorrow.

Like this post
Desingning5

Likes # 0

Thank you very much!!!

Like this post
Desingning5

Likes # 0

I did try it and didn't work. Went back to the error screen

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The only thing I can suggest is can you borrow a Win 8 disk or recovery disc that you can troubleshoot from?

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=26

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-create-recovery-media-144098

For some reason it's not 'seeing' the recovery partition.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Had a look at the manual and it shows to tap F8 on booting and that should bring up the advanced boot options and repair options. As it's windows 8 try pressing and holding the shift key while tapping the F8 key on booting.

User manual from here.

Like this post
Desingning5

Likes # 0

Hi Dave... I have tried so many things like:

1-Hitting "0" and turn on the computer. It gives me the option to repair but it reverts back to the blue screen.

3- Changed the boot up order and made sure that the DVD Rom was primary.

2- Tried to use my Windows 8 installation disc. Even though it spins at the start, the setup screen doesn't come up. the blue screen does.

4- Tried to make a bootable Windows 8 installation usb and no luck.

5- Can't make recovery discs because I can't get into system.

Can I just do something to WIPE the HD and start from scratch with the installation disc?

I await your response..

Ally..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad