We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"System Restore" doesn't restore system!

KeithMH

Likes # 0

I'm busy reinstalling Vista (Home Basic) and was happily installing updates when Windows Update suggested them. I appear to have installed SP1 (it shows 4 times in "update history") but "Windows Update" continues to offer SP1 for download. Also, if I try to install SP2, I get a message telling me that I need to install SP1 first. I've tried "System Restore" repeatedly using all available restore points, but I keep getting a message that an "Unspecified error occurred during System Restore".

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

I had this happen with system restore, I found the only way around it was to use it in "safe mode". (Start the computer and keep tapping F8)

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would turn off "Automatic Updates" and then go to Control Panel - Programs and Features - Windows Updates - and remove ALL 4 updates that show SP1 and start again.

Like this post
KeithMH

Likes # 0

Many thanks for your replies.

When I tried to uninstall the four instances of SP1, they didn't appear in the list.

Then I used F8 and went for the Repair option. So far so good, but, of course, it's back to the long slog of downloading and installing. Fingers crossed.

Like this post
KeithMH

Likes # 0

Well, I'm back in the same position again.

Update History shows SP1 as successfully installed, but it doesn't show under "Uninstall an update". Also, Windows Update is asking me to install it again. It doesn't come up when I use "winver".

Windows Update won't even open under Safe Mode.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look at some suggestions here enter link description here

Like this post
KeithMH

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. I'll put it behind my ear for next time.

I've actually solved my problems via http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windowsvista-windowsupdate/sp1-and-sp2-installation-problems/ab1cc682-5d12-430d-ae83-36ddd6d4c97b

Many thanks for your help, northumbria61 and Ventad.

Like this post
KeithMH

Likes # 0

That link hasn't come out right. I'll have another go.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windowsvista-windowsupdate/sp1-and-sp2-installation-problems/ab1cc682-5d12-430d-ae83-36ddd6d4c97b

Like this post
KeithMH

Likes # 0

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windowsvista-windowsupdate/sp1-and-sp2-installation-problems/ab1cc682-5d12-430d-ae83-36ddd6d4c97b

Ther are underscores between windows & vista and between windows & update, which keep disappearing when I press "Post".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad