We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacement motherboard for my Packard Bell Imedia mc2770

Pedro33
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello. Could you guys help me find a suitable uATX motherboard to fit this pc that might be still buyable? Spec of processor is I Core 2 Duo E6400 @2.13Ghz; present motherboard is an MSI 1996 (Cuba, I believe) which is slightly iffy..loses sound occ'nly,sometimes goes off into dreamworld. It runs W7 64 bit ok..mostly. I've an 850w psu in it now, want to keep the same processor but try another motherboard..this one only sees 3gb ram max in bios. Am I being silly? The cpu seems fast enough for what I do... Pedro fae Scotland...

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Hi Pedro33 I must congratulate you on the fine Scottish name that you have.Do you have a special Tartan as well.

Sorry cannot help you with the new motherboard but no doubt someone will be able to help get your sound back to normal.

Maybe take the memory out then put it back making sure it is reseated properly.

How much memory have you actually got in your computer.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 1

I have 4 Gb ram on this computer but it shows as 3.24 usable.

Just right click my computer then properties and it should show you how much memory you have.

See if it is different than your Bios reading.

Like this post  
Pedro33

Likes # 0

Why, Thankyou! Pedro fae Mid Calder, the Scourge of Radio Scotland's Rugby Friday night! Yes, I'm a mongrel really, Ross Tartan, but also MacPherson . . I wear the Mac Tartan at those dreaded 'Dashing White whatsits' weddings, or just maybe..Referendum day at Twickers tomorrow for the Calcutta! (Only I won't be there, but I will prance around my lounge kiltedly if we give em a good run for their money! As per the motherboard issue,well.. Sure now that the PB bios restricts adding further memory. Had 2 x 2gb pc6400 dimms fitted - Bios saw 3gb, XP saw 4. Puzzled, you will be! On removal of said dimms,and replacement with the original 1gb ones, the onboard sound card stopped disappearing from Dev Manager. Weird. To get round this, I've put W7 Ultimate on, gone back to the original 2 x 1gb dimms, and use a flash card to cache memory. When I've paid off all the January outgoings, it might be fun to Investigate further. As a Computacenter techie, doing his 2nd A plus,I am bound to investigate - might combine the theoretical with the practical! The only issue I foresee is that replacing the M'brd may mean that if the Imedia front panel sub units,i.e. power switch/mem card/audio wiring is non standard. I am a prisoner of my own curiousity lol Better just buy an I5??? Ps: Jock1e is a fine monicur - fae whae, as they say??

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Mid Calder will be close to Livingston then I have a few relations that stay there.

Isle of Bute for me but that was a long time ago.Have stayed in Little Scotland for the past 46 years.

Found this old PCA thread from a few years ago.Not you with a different username is it.

Packard bell

If you want to know anything about computers don't ask me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......