We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

very slow DELL - overheating ??????????????

roygbiv

Likes # 0

Dell Inspiron 1545 (3Gb)

Start up is taking alot longer, than it used to.

websites very slow to appear.

long delay when openning links / new pages

I use "twitter" alot and noticed when retweetingg a message, the window goes shaded while the page refreahes (over a few seconds, or longer as useage of laptop continues)

opening email is taking ALONG time (minutes) (cursor shows "busy" during this time)

Laptop is used on a cooling tray (Belkin) is the motherboard overheating ??? if so repair or buy new Laptop? TIA Alan

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did the problem just start when you downloaded Bullguard or did it just happened recently.

I know that you have tried it already but go back into device manager and check everything for a yellow exclamation marks.USB especially.

If nothing found Click on View.Then click on show hidden devices.

Now expand plug and play and see if that shows any exclamation marks in there.

Did you tick both boxes when running chkdsk if it finished with both boxes ticked it would rule out the hard drive as the problem.

Do a search for AVG and see if it shows any parts of it still on your computer.

Is there anything that you can think of that you downloaded recently just about the same time as you started getting the problems.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Just a couple of things. Is the fan running? If so is it dirty/dusty?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried running it with a wire connection to see if it runs ok.Just assuming you are using a wireless connection.

Maybe try it with your add ons switched off.Have you tried a system restore to when it was working ok or would it have to go back to far.

Does it run ok in safe mode with networking.

Last 2 to try before I give up.

Go into services.Windows Updates and disable it and also stop it running.

Then do the same with Windows Defender and see if that helps.

Computer should start a bit quicker with those turned off.

And last one if nothing else works try running it with the Firewall turned off.

Give in run out of ideas.

oops just thought of another Switch Bullguard of completely and see how it runs without it.

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

WOW Thanks

Prnting out the list of "to-do s" (when it sends to printer !) wireless and wired the same checked fan all clean (was dirty before this happened) (happened a few days afterwards) tick 2 boxes?? (no boxes to click)

just started up and its sooooooooooooo slow again !!! opened OE download 6 emails takes 4 mins !!!!- clicking reply and email fades and slowly reappears a few secs later ???

Alan (back later)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Beginning to look like the hard drive is on the way out.

grandaughter had the same sort of problem with her computer getting slower and slower eventually it would only start in safe mode and not very good on that.

Tried running chkdsk on it but it kept stopping at the same point.

I think you have the correct idea going through the list one by one when you have time.

An unsigned driver used to give me the same sort of problem as well, it used to take 3-4 minutes to start up then extremely slow changing pages.Every time I deleted the driver Microsoft would put the same driver back again.

Anyhow best of luck I think most of us on here have suffered the same sort of problem at one time or another.

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hard drive is pretty new (a few months)

done system restore = wont complete

safe mode = still same

windows updates off = same windows defender off = same

just opening OE on send/rec it always shows error - I have to send/rec again to make it work

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think you have tried most things a system repair may be your last hope but that would be a last resort.

There were a few bad updates at the beginning of the month from Windows.How long have you had this problem.

If Bullguard was the last thing you downloaded maybe remove it and see if computer works any better.If not install it again at least it would rule it out as the problem.

Just wondering if a corrupt user account would do the same.

In the end it will probably be something simple that we have all missed that will sort it.

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

Thank You all for your patience and graet advice. I will try the last few items over the weekend, as I am busy tomorrow.

Many Many Thanks

Alan

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

Using Smartphone , as laptop is so slow and fustrating

plus havent had time to sort it

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I still believe a clean install is the way to sort your problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert