We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

very slow DELL - overheating ??????????????

roygbiv

Likes # 0

Dell Inspiron 1545 (3Gb)

Start up is taking alot longer, than it used to.

websites very slow to appear.

long delay when openning links / new pages

I use "twitter" alot and noticed when retweetingg a message, the window goes shaded while the page refreahes (over a few seconds, or longer as useage of laptop continues)

opening email is taking ALONG time (minutes) (cursor shows "busy" during this time)

Laptop is used on a cooling tray (Belkin) is the motherboard overheating ??? if so repair or buy new Laptop? TIA Alan

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

Laptop is fine when first started and then goess slower with use/ ass time goes on.

download speed = 1944 kbps Up = 365 kbps

(this seems a bit LOW, as last week (with laptop very slow) both were up near 2000 ??? my other pc is fine ??

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

Done CC, it found nothing

this problem is very fustrating/confusing (nearly throwing ........)

Like this post
savim

Likes # 0

Is it the computer that is low or just the Browser.

Maybe try those two.

sfc /scannow in command prompt.

chkdsk with both boxes ticked.Remember your computer would be out of action till chkdsk is finished.

One more.Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns it should tell you the dns cache has been cleared see if that makes any difference.

Maybe a defrag if you have not done one in a while.

Is Bullguard new or have you had it a while.If renewed lately did you remove the last one using the proper removal tool.

Like this post
savim

Likes # 0

slow and not low.

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

will do them later the laptop that is slow (even when loading a new word document,(not online) the "doughnut" cursor shows busy for 5-10 seconds)

fairly new BullGaurd (Removed the old AVG) used to have AVG

Many Thanks so far

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Perhaps your poor performance is indeed being caused by overheating. Here's a free utility you can use to display the internal temperatures detected by the laptop's onboard sensors so run it and let us the know the maximum values for the CPU(s).

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you use the proper AVG unistaller.

If you did ignore this.

AVG removal tool

If you just removed it from add remove it leaves parts on the computer which can react badly with your new security program.

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

sfc /scannow = admin account requiered ?????????? (only 1 acc. I have checked in control panel it says i am the administrator)

chkdsk andipconfig/flushdns = Access denied , elevation required ???

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

managed to get in (change an access setting?)

all found NO corupt/failed files

seems better - but not how it was !!!

will see how it goes tonight

Thanks Alan

Like this post
roygbiv

Likes # 0

Spoke too soon back to slow slow think I will turn it off !!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED