We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Most Reliable Antivirus Programme?

manrow

Likes # 0

Having recently purchased a new laptop, I received opinions from megastore and small independent retailer that AVG was no longer necessarily finding virus intruders. Has anyone experience of this, and if so what did you change to?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I have used AVG (paid for versions) for a number of years now and I wouldn't change. Does the job for me but it is down to personal choice and no doubt you will get other recommendations on here.

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

i use Avast and have been very pleased with it

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have used the free versions of AVG for a number of years, but then about four/five years ago, decided to use the free versions of Avast with regular updates on all my computer's. Never had any problems, and would recommend this product to anyone.

If it does the job, and for free, and as a wide choice of recommendations, then why not use it?.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've used MSE for years. However, interesting that when I tried to install it on my new W8 PC, was told that it's not compatible and that the Windows Defender (pre installed) is sufficient! So I put on Avast! free.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

+1 for Advast.But the best defence is be careful what you download and particularly careful what you open sent to you as an attachment in an email.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use free Avira on one PC and MSE on another. No problems.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

MSE AV test.Test

At the bottom of the page it also points to Windows Defender being as poor as MSE.

But then again I think most of us have known that for years.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Following on from Jock1e's post regarding test results from the trusted and reputable German security firm AV-Test, here's their latest report for home anti-virus products. As you can see, AVG 2013 still scores very highly in the Protection tests so I still have confidence in that product.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I used to be totally anti anything Norton, but since doing the Beta test on the new Norton 360 I am a convert and now run it on all the windows machines in the house.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I used to be totally anti anything Norton and I still am.

No doubt it has got better but it will not go on my computers again even if it was free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room