We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

laptop recover factory settings from hard drive

athenrye

Likes # 0

hi my friends laptop running vista is slow and showing its age, he has partitioned Hd both at 32gb and keeps getting warnings about the c drive being near full, the d drive recovery has lots of room

I don't have a manual but looking on line I get this below, the trouble is It doesn't appear to be on his laptop, I cant find the acer recovery management, ive tried doing it as it starts up and I get a boot sequence

any ideas of other ways to recover it?

Unlike other laptops, Acer laptops integrate a computer management utility called 'Acer eRecovery Management' to create backup of hard drive data, create restore point, reinstall applications & drivers, and reset Acer laptop to factory setting.

Step 1: Before starting your Acer laptop, ensure that there is no external storage device attached to it. Now start your laptop.

Step 2: Press 'Alt + F10' when the laptop starts booting, and wait for a moment while Windows loads the reset files.

Step 3: When 'Acer eRecovery Management' window appears, select 'Restore System from factory default' and click 'Next' to continue.

Step 4: Again click 'Next' to reset your Acer laptop. This process will erase all data from your hard disk and reset your Acer laptop to original factory settings.

Step 5: Click 'OK' in the notification window to begin the the resetting operation. Now wait while your Acer laptop is reset to factory settings.

Tips: You can also create a backup copy of your laptop data before factory reset. Simply click 'Backup' in 'Acer eRecovery Management' window.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can also start it from the Desktop. Have a look in:

Start | All Programs |Acer Empowering Technology | Acer eRecovery management

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Of course to be of any use depends on whether the factory restore image is still there.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

posted too soon.... wanted to add that you can download and install the program eRecovery mangement.

What might be of more use maybe is to borrow a dvd or d/load Vista and install with the key on the sticker but you will need to find all the drivers for the hardware as well.

Like this post
athenrye

Likes # 0

this isn't there... Start | All Programs |Acer Empowering Technology | Acer eRecovery management

neither is the tool bar you can access it from

at startup you can use alt f10, takes you to a hidden menu to factory restore but doesn't seem to work...

thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This any help then MS official Windows Vista Download Links no forms or anything to fill in, choose the one you want and click on the file and download starts.

Like this post
athenrye

Likes # 0

hi lotvic, sorry I don't need the vista downloads, im missing the acer recovery software to go back to factory settings

I could do a fresh install, don't know if that would help though, as I need to pair down the content on the HD

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

you can download Acer eRecovery Management from softpedia but as I said you need to make sure the Hidden Factory Image is still on the harddrive or it will have no image to restore... In Windows Explorer, Tools, folder options, View, (I think it's same or similar for Vista) you need to choose to 'Show Hidden Files and Folders'

Actually if you do find the Hidden Recovery and make that drive 'Active' in Disk Management the pc should boot straight into it instead of the present Vista O/S next time laptop is shut down and then powered up again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite