We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will a USB Dongle meet my requirements to extend WiFi range

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a W7 PC that has a wired internet connection. The Router is a WiFi router but the computer I am interested in is 3 Floors up so there is no WiFi signal. If I put a WiFi dongle in it will this enable me to get a WiFi signal to for example my smartphone or a printer next to the computer on the 3rd Floor.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

sorry just reread my post. I did not really make it clear the W7 PC is the wired internet computer on the 3rd floor so it is connected to the internet I would just like to connect other devices to the internet on the 3rd floor if I can without having them wired.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

No you need things called home plugs which use your electrical sockets to extend your wire/wireless range. I have no doubt others will better advise as I have no experience of these things.

Home plugs

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, but that is how the PC is connected to the router at the moment(ie through the house ring main). I was just not sure as the dongle obviously transmits as well as receives, if that was sufficient to connect. Obvioulsy from what you say it is not. I think I can plug in another router and then use that but I was trying to do it on the cheap

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

You said that your 3rd floor computer is WIRED if so, you probably need a USB transmitter dongle like this > http://www.hercules.com/us/wifi/bdd/p/33/hercules-wifi-usb-transmitter-hwgusb2-54v2-ap-/

Not sure where they can be sourced and also not sure if this is the same thing > http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008PWT9PW/ref=ascdfB008PWT9PW11664704/?tag=pgelec-01-1051-21&creative=22118&creativeASIN=B008PWT9PW&linkCode=asn

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Second link is broken, copy and paste.

Like this post  
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Sill Bill, just what I was looking for. Thanks again for your help. All the best

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Alternator

Just received an email from HERCULES that the USB transmitter HWGUSB2-54v2-ap has been discontinued!

Like this post
DanielD

Likes # 0

Like this post
DanielD

Likes # 0

Sorry - copy and paste above link...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...