We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Skype - didn't want it and it's screwing up other programs! :(

SweetBriar
Resolved

Likes # 0

I had MS Messenger, with which I was perfectly happy. Then, I was told Messenger was going, and I had to change to Skype - which like an idiot I did. Don't want it, don't use it, don't like it BUT - the worst is, when I'm on other sites - looking at a video, downloading a PDF - etc - I keep getting a message saying somehting like "Skype Click to call has crashed" :( What the hell has that got to do with watching a Youtube video or downloading a PDF file????

It's driving me insane - can anyone help????

Many thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

Many people are complaining that the Click to Call was installed without permission when installing Skype or updates. I don't think there is any direct link to Youtube etc but that it is the case that the plug-in is causing the browser to crash. You don't say which browser you are using but you should be able to uninstall or disable this plug-in - possibly from the Control Panel.

The message that you are getting, I assume, is that the skype click to call plug-in has crashed. Reading through some posts on another forum this is very buggy and most people are disabling/uninstalling it.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

Hope it is now dead as it should be. As it is an add-in I don't think it appears in Control Panel\Programs.

Like this post  
difarn

Likes # 1

Sorry if it appears that I have repeated advice that others gave but they were not there when I posted. Hope you have found a satisfactory fix.

Sometimes add-ons do appear in Control Panel.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

Look in your browser options and see if there is a Skype Click to call add-on installed. If so just disable it. What it does is to highlight any phone numbers on a web page with a button which allows you to click it and it will be called through the Skype system. I found it pretty useless so I just disabled the add-on and no more problem.

Like this post
SweetBriar

Likes # 0

Thanks!!!!! I think I've found the relevant option - fingers crossed! Many thanks, it was driving me mental! Briar

Like this post
SweetBriar

Likes # 0

Thanks, guys - think I've disabled it - we'll see if I get any more error messages - they do seem a bit flaming random :( Didn't want Skype anyway much preferred Messenger! Why do they have to "fix" things that ain't broke??????? Cheers Briar

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...