We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Overclocking advice

robbo1987

Likes # 0

Hi guys, first of all sorry If I've posted this in the wrong place.

I have a foxconn a88gmx motherboard with a phenom x2 1090t processor.

It's currently rubbing at the stock 3.2GHZ with a stock air cooler, and it's idling at around 35-40.

I want to possibly overclock to help me get better performance in FSX.

Don't expect to get upto anything silly but somewhere upto or around 3.8ghz would be a nice start.

First of all I know I will need better cooling. But don't have a massive budget so water cooling may be a bit out of my reach, but I have seen an "Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 CPU Cooler" over at scan. Would something like that be adequate?

My next question is how to go about the overclock correctly? I had a quick go by upping the clock multiplier in the bios from 200 to 210 which gave me a bit more juice, I then upped it to 220 which got me to around the 3.6 mark, and it worked however once I tested with a bit of load it didn't take long to cut out so I can only assume it overheated so I reverted back to how it was. Would I need to be changing any voltages etc aswell? I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to but when it comes to overclocking I am a complete noob.

I have been using hw monitor to look at my temps, and with the stock fan and at stock speeds under load the cpu is reaching upwards of 60c so I don't think there's any room for manoeuvre with my current setup.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Is your chip not a Phenom 11 x 6 1090T? But whatever overclocking you have in mind you will certainly need a better cooler than the stock one. The Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 is certainly a decent cooler I have a Artic cooler in one of my PC's.

I have managed to find a video which may help but I cannot provide detailed help as I am an Intel man and my current CPU the i5 2500K is simplicity to overclock to 4.5Ghz from 3.3Ghz.

To thoroughly test your overclock Prime95 is a popular torture-testing program or Intel Burn Test, OCCT, Cinebench, 3dmark.

Overclocking Video.

Like this post
robbo1987

Likes # 0

Sorry yes I meant II x6 1090T, don't know where I got x2 from!..

Thanks for the Video, Seems simple enough! Not sure how well my motherboard will handle it but I'll buy a new cooler and see what happens!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Foxconn,not the best mobos to be honest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite