We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blackberry playbook won't play bbc radio iplayer

sunnypete

Likes # 0

My playbook gives media format may not be supported. Is there a way to get my local radio?

Like this post
bjh.

Likes # 0

Works for me on my playbook... but I'm not sure of "local" radio stations...

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Tv iplayer works but not radio. Anyone?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The shortcut that you have installed, is it to the iPlayer and you try to access bbc radio from there or is it this link direct to iPlayer radio?

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

I have tried both, i.e. going via radio - local stations, they show up o.k. but on clicking "play now" I get the error message. Also going via iPlayer radio as you suggest gives the same result. I don't want to have to get an app, surely it should cope with just radio audio.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There seem to be a few people having the same problem - came across this link in a forum that may work for you.

You may also be interested in this article.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

difarn Thanks for your last, apologies for the delay in following up, chicken curry called. I have looked at the two sites you suggested, and while they don't give a solution to the enigma, they have given me something to think about. It does look, though, like a missing audio codec, may have to wait for the BBC and RIM to get their acts together. The reason I am chasing this is that the Beeb have changed the time of our favourite Sunday evening programme on Radio Somerset to a later time almost in the wee small hours, and it would be convenient to listen on the Playbook, the programme is still on Devon and Cornwall at the old time.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I have read that the native blackberry playbook media player can play radio if the broadcasts are in MP3 format - this is why the article I posted earlier advised you to go to the playing live stream on the radio site. BBC iPlayer radio may only broadcast in proprietary formats except for MP3 podcasts.

You may find this and this interesting reading. I don't have a playbook myself (I do have a Blackberry) but I am very interested to see how they pan out.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Thanks most of that seems to refer to the phone, not the playbook. Perhaps I'll try the. Beeb direct?

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

difarn Just for the record I referred my query to the BBC and got a reply from Audience Services, but not much help. They referred me to BBC web pages I have already looked at, it does seem that radio iPlayer is only available on certain android devices. I fail to understand why the audio of video iPlayer programmes work perfectly well but not radio programmes. Probably this is a case of wait and see..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad