We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

most accurate cpu temp prog, and your max healthy temp, or max recommended temp for modern system?

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

The laptop idle upon boot using Realtemp, gives cpu core temps of 45-50c, and after just over half an hour idle, its just under 60c. Running multiple programs at once can bring it up to 70c or over if the machine has been on for a few hours, with its fan running at the max. If I attempt any cpu intensive tasks, such as 3d software, it can reach the 70s, but it rarely goes over 80c.

Speedfan on the other hand gives values of roughly 10c less for each core compared to Realtemp, and although I know it can be customized, Speedfan gives me the 'hot' icon by default for anything over 50c. I have heard that Realtemp may be giving the most accurate values, since Speedfan has not been calibrated for my particular system. After a Realtemp 10 minute sensor test, my cpu can state it is 100c or over (realtemp doesnt show values over 100, when the cpu is running at the max).

How common would anyone say these values were for a dual core bottom of the range laptop system, and would you be worried? No problems in running to date. Unfortunately I cannot be sure if the system has always given these temperatures or not, and how accurate. If the cpu really was over 100c in a Realtemp test, working the cpu to the max, I wonder how long the cpu would likely last. Thanks for any info if possible, esp if anyone has a laptop to compare temperatures. I will assume higher quality systems will never go over the 60c mark! >:0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ another to try and compare

CPU critical temps

70 -80 your hitting top temp for a dual core intel

Laptops do tend to get hot as the airflow is usually compromised due to cramming everything in a small case so a laptop cooler to sit it on may help.

Read this to see what effect temperature has on your system.

Like this post  
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Thanks, I havent tried that one before. Coretemp is in line with the values of Speedfan. Realtemp on the other hand states the minimum, likely at startup for the cores, has been 65c to date. Having only just started the machine today and browsing, they are at 70c already. In Coretemp and Speedfan they are 55c. Not that ideal, but for a cheap laptop its surely far more likely, unless there is some sort of fan or vent blockage etc. Im not sure how easy this machine will be to give a thorough cleanout, but I think I will need to do so very soon.

Coretemp also shows a maximum of 64c for each core, matching 'Temp1' in Speedfan. I am assuming this is related to another temperature sensor on or near the cpu, or some sort of overall temperature taking into account both cores. I dont think I will attempt a Realtemp sensor test again, as if that was incorrect, its value being '100c' would surely have still brought it close or over its manufacturer max temp (85c in coretemp). Ouch :(

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I have noticed that the laptop has been on for 5 mins today, it tends to stay between 45-55c, but it would seem that coretemp is still managing to record milliseconds of when the temp reaches 78c for no reason whilst browsing or even idle (eg 55-78-42-55c etc). Im not sure whether this is the result of the system needing a cleanout (im sure it does) or.. if coretemp is also very sensitive and its nothing to really worry about?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...