We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vertical lines on my laptop screen

Bez

Likes # 0

My laptop screen has developed vertical lines which seem to be increasing in number and intensity. Does it mean the screen is at the end of it's life? The laptop is about 6 yrs. old.

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

No, Fruit Bat /\0/\ I have not the right connection wire. Thank you again for your help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No point in changing the screen until you have tested the display is ok on an external monitor.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Bez

It is simply a case of getting a VGA cable or an HDMI cable to connect to an external Monitor or perhaps a TV. Both of which can be purchased in Poundshops for £1 each.

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

My laptop connection is a VGA cable but my TV has a yellow, round, a white,round and a red round connection. What do you call that combination of cable? I'd like to buy this cable but don't know what to ask for. Thanks for your help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

RCA Component

This connection type is on the majority of TVs for the connection of component devices. Again it is used for the transmission of analogue video signals.

VGA to component signals for high quality connections.

However for this to work, you must make sure that the device being used with the VGA end can accept or transmit component signals.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-VGA-LEAD-CABLE-LAPTOP/dp/B000P3NZ68

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In my humble opinion it's you on-board graphics chip giving up the ghost. Connect to an external monitor/TV and I'm sure you will see the same output.

Not worth spending on but will give valuable time to backup your valuable info.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If vga end doesn't support, you'll need a converter box like this amazon.co.uk/Composite-Converter-Adapter

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's a dying 'onboard' video chip.

Like this post
Bez

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your help. I'll buy the cable and let you know the result.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Bez , good luck but I don't think you have much hope. Back up all your documents, photos, browser bookmarks/favourites, music, email and everything else you can think of while you can still see the screen.

Best of luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...