We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting iplayer on a tablet to display on a tv.

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is possible or not.I can watch iplayer tv progs on my Android tablet OK. What I want to try is to output it to a ty monitor. The idea being that it remains connected via WiFi but can be used on other tvs in the house that do not have computers. I can't find much info on this, is it an unrealistic expectation. What do you think?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Connecting a tablet PC to a TV is very simple. Most of the android tablets being sold have an HDMI output port on them. The connectors are in different sizes, and I don't believe any of the tablets are coming with the HDMI cable included.Go to the page of the manufacturer of your device, and the cable will be listed.

You can only connect a tablet PC to a HD TV that has a HDMI input port. Once you connect the cable between your tablet and the TV, you will need to change the source on the TV to the HDMI input port that you used (most HD TVs have multiple HDMI input ports). Everything you see on your tablet will appear on the TV. You do not need to do anything to the tablet to make the picture show on the TV.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos that is exactly what I expected to be the case but when I connected (new cable) set TV to HDMI I could only get "no video available" message.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Did you rember to change the input soured on the TV? My Nexus 7 was that simple. Plugged HDMI cable in to Nexus and one of the free HDMI ports on my TV changed input source to either HDMI 1 or 2, job done.

Makes a change for things to be so easy as I have been trying to connect decent speakers to my TV but they just will not play the game. Lol.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, I have got this almost working, on this tablet i had to go into settings and enable HDMI autoswitch for some reason, I would have thought that would be the default. Problem I still have is no sound, any ideas on that please anyone.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Chronos, ref speakers, have you tried the headphone socket

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

HDMI carries audio and video so that should not be a problem. I don't have much in the way of settings on the TV but you may well have. Worth a look .

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, I have sorted my problems thanks for your help. Have you tried plugging your speakers into the headphone socket on your TV, this worked for me when I had a similar thing.

Like this post  
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, I have sorted my problems thanks for your help. Have you tried plugging your speakers into the headphone socket on your TV, this worked for me when I had a similar thing.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

bumpkin

Great to here you have sorted your TV/tablet set up.

Thanks for the pointer as I have managed to get my speakers working,it was something quite ridiculous and as simple as a missing cable for output.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks