We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sound icon is missing

ponytail

Likes # 0

The sound / Volume icon down by the clock has dissapeared so have no audio how do I get it back

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry could not resist.

Google.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

I like the effect, but you can be cruel at times :-)

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Chronos the 2nd have gone into control panel and all I can see is a sound icon nothing for sounds and audio devices.As for selecting classic view there is no option to choose at the top left all I get is control panel or all control panel items when I click the one icon there.If it helps I am using windows 7

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Try this.

Right click in the task bar near the time display and you will get a pop up menu.

Click on properties.

Under system icons to always show, check volume.

Click Apply.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

And this method is a little more involved.

1. Back up the Registry by creating a restore point.
  2. Go to Start > Run (or Windows-key + R), type in regedit and hit OK.
  3. Navigate to the key HKEYCURRENTUSER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify.
    1. Delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
  4. Open up the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), go to the Processes tab, select explorer.exe and click End Process.
    1. Open the Applications tab and click New Task at the bottom-right of the window.
    2. In the message box that pops up type in explorer.exe and hit OK.
  5. Explorer.exe will reload, and the missing icons should now be back in the system-tray where they belong.
    1. Then if the volume bar isn't there, go to taskbar properties (where the volume was gray) and simply tick the box.
Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Again Chronos the 2nd the volume icon says off and is not highlighted so how do I turn it on.Have not tried your 2nd method yet as you say it looks a bit more complicated

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I assume you mean,like the power icon on my desk top it is greyed out and you cannot click on it. Looks like option two. Or you can have a look at this. system icons. I know it says Vista but it should work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Try this - Right click on the taskbar - select properties, ten in the window that opens you should see two thirds the way down Notification area - click on customize look for volume and check that show icon and notifications is selected.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi woolwell when I get to volume it says speakers zero and nothing is highlighted everything is grey cannot change anything

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Just noticed that the safely remove hardware icon has also dissapeared as I wanted to remove my external drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings