We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Explorer 8 no add ons

Scott20

Likes # 0

Hi Can somebody advise me what I do to get IE8 back working normally on my Win XP pc. It seems my pc was targeted early january and it targeted IE8 users only 9/10 not affected.

Basically I open up IE8 and warning screen spells out you have no addons/please manage addons etc. It still functions but cannot view any youtube videos etc pleasse download adobe flash 11 and your HTML 5 browser needs updating or installing or something like that. Had to save adobe flash to usb drive until stability returns. It's also very unstable and frequently crashes and returns straight back to the desktop.

I installed latest firefox not knowing what to do it seenmed ok at first and again it's the same message when wanting to view youtube videos and it's more unstable than IE8.

Do I remove IE8 and firefox and reinstall with uptodate IE8?

Also how do I copy all favourites in IE8 to flash drive. firefox seemed to transfer them across to IE and they are still there. How do I upload them again to pc.

If you could advise in very simple terms how I resolve this issue I'd be very grateful.

scott20

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to first download Flash from hear so you can run Utube

Link to Flash player

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried downloading flash player you need one for XP and another for Firefox.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It's not specific for XP, its a fit all just about when Setup is run

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

For the Browser you could try go to Start List,Windows Update click custom and run it then see if it updates your Browser, check out updates and remove one you do not want

Like this post
Scott20

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Can't I just remove IE8 and firefox and then reinstall IE8 should I just prefer IE8 ??

I've already utilised windows update and downloaded IE 8 security update but still get the same message when accessing it: your running ie 8 without addons etc.

Thanks for the advice regards adobe flash player etc.

Any further advice much appreciated.

scott20

Like this post
Scott20

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Can't I just remove IE8 and firefox and then reinstall IE8 should I just prefer IE8 ??

I've already utilised windows update and downloaded IE 8 security update but still get the same message when accessing it: your running ie 8 without addons etc.

Thanks for the advice regards adobe flash player etc.

Any further advice much appreciated.

scott20

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Go to Tools.Internet Options.Advanced and press reset.

That resets I/E to its original state.

If still no luck go back to advances and press restore advanced settings.

Keep I/E and Firefox you don't need to run Firefox but it will come in handy if I/E packs in.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Start IE8 from the programs list, not from the shortcut on the desktop or taskbar. See if it works then.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Internet Explorer 8 starts in "No Add-ons" mode when you use the desktop icon to start Internet Explorer. How to fix it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976915

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , been here before haven't we. Must be 'fun only' trial for a malware attack......

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...