We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

after closing down windows xp it will now not load

ikoz
Resolved

Likes # 0

os win xp home pentium4 we usually keep the computer on but i shut it down and on switching back on monitor came up with no signal, checked wires changed sockets comp booted up, comp shuts down after time,sometimes have to switch comp on and off a few times to get windows to boot up when it doesn't windows starts to boot up but then comp shuts down, now windows wont load at all in any mode,I can get into the bios but thats all, thought it may have been overheating but won't start from cold, the only recent thing added is a new monitor

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Can you start up in Safe Mode? (press F8 as it starts) and try using Last Known Good Configuration.

To use the Last Known Good Configuration feature, on startup press [F8] to display the Windows Advanced Options menu. Select the Last Known Good Configuration item from the menu and press [Enter].

Like this post
ikoz

Likes # 0

no as i said it won't open in any mode

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Have you got an XP install Disc? If so you can boot from that and do a Repair.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No Signal As nothing to do with the monitor. Its the PC and Graphics that Drives it. Sounds like a Graphics Problem. plus if you switch on off by just holding the off button you will corrupt the drive boot data, that may the reason it now will not boot

Like this post
ikoz

Likes # 0

i have no xp install disc computer is secondhand woodchip- is there a way of fixing the drive boot data?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

How long is PC staying on for? if nly 30secs or so could be a PSU problem.

If it will stay on at the f8 menu then corrupted windows files that will need a repair install to fix. (XP home CD needed)

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
ikoz

Likes # 0

fruit bat- yes it stays on f8 i have no xp install cd only the license gonna have to see what microsoft say about a new cd

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

you can use someone else's cd as long as you use the coa on the back of the pc. it needs to be the exact cd not pro etc

Like this post  
ikoz

Likes # 0

ok cheers all i'll try that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia