We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ads on BBC website. DNS issue?

rmortimer

Likes # 0

Hi - my son recently downloaded the FirstRowSports App onto one of our home computers and now I'm getting ads served onto the BBC website (amongst others).

I suspect FirstRow has dicked around with the IP or DNS somewhere and these sites now think I'm outside the UK.

Is there any way to put it back the way it was? De-installing the FirstRowSports hasn't made any difference.

I've run Malwarebytes etc and there are no Viruses or Malware present.

Any help appreciated.

Ta Rich

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Try Hitman Pro , that will usually kill off most nasties .

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Try Hitman Pro...."

That's a good idea as it should also detect if the PC is using a proxy server which could account for why the OP's seeing ads when no anti-malware program has found anything.

Like this post
rmortimer

Likes # 0

Secret squirrel - Have checked everything you recommend.

Still have the problems.

Screenshot here:

https://twitter.com/badsoupday/status/295609199843504129/photo/1

Talka Talk and Maze are both ads.

Thanks

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Looking at your screen shot , I don't see the DoNotTrackMe icon . Go to Abine website and download .

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I see that you are using Chrome. Have a look in extensions and see if anything has been added.

See if IE9 without add-ons produces ads.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

My suggestion would be to uninstall Java Runtime Environment via add/remove or programs and features. Remove all to do with Java. Reboot and install the latest. Looks like Twitter uses JRE.

Like this post
rmortimer

Likes # 0

Hey guys -

I've now sussed it. The FirstRowSportsApp had installed AddOns/Extensions into the browsers. Removing them has cured the problem.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Ta

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

rmortimer , thanks for the feedback. Possibly pointed out before?

Good result.....

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

That's what I mentioned in my 7.05 pm post and again at 7.26.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

..and me, I said to check settings in Browser to see if anything had changed (Yesterday at 1:24PM)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad