We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ads on BBC website. DNS issue?

rmortimer

Likes # 0

Hi - my son recently downloaded the FirstRowSports App onto one of our home computers and now I'm getting ads served onto the BBC website (amongst others).

I suspect FirstRow has dicked around with the IP or DNS somewhere and these sites now think I'm outside the UK.

Is there any way to put it back the way it was? De-installing the FirstRowSports hasn't made any difference.

I've run Malwarebytes etc and there are no Viruses or Malware present.

Any help appreciated.

Ta Rich

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Perhaps it has disabled your Add blocker? check the settings in the browser as well - see if anything has changed.

Like this post
rmortimer

Likes # 0

Hi - thanks for responding.

Unfortunatley I've checked that and everything looks fine.

:-(

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe use this.

Norton Dns

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ignore last I was thinking of Norton DNS.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"my son recently downloaded the FirstRowSports App onto one of our home computers and now I'm getting ads"

Are all your home computers affected or just yours?

"..and now I'm getting ads..."

Do those ads appear in pop-up windows or are they part of the webpage?

" I'm getting ads served onto the BBC website"

Whilst you're on the BBC website, look in your browser's address Bar - does it show bbc.co.uk or bbc.com? Another way to check is to click the BBC's "Weather" or "TV" links. Do you get UK-specific or general worldwide information?

It may help too if you tell us your version of Windows and which browser(s) you're using.

Like this post
rmortimer

Likes # 0

Hi - thanks for responding.

Answers to your questions:

1. Just the one computer.
  2. Ads are part of the webpage, not popups
  3. Address reads bbc.co.uk; Weather page defaults to London
  4. Using Windows 7. Problem occurs in all browsers on the machine (Firefox, IE, Chrome).

Thanks

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info.

You're clearly getting the UK version of the BBC website so I'm puzzled as to why you're seeing advertisements. Anyhow, it could be a DNS or a proxy-server issue so try these suggestions:

1) Check your DNS settings by going to Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center. In the left-hand pane, click on "Change Adapter settings", locate the icon for the connection your computer's using, double-click it, then click the "Properties" button. In the new window that opens, select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", click the "Properties" button and ensure that in the DNS section it's set to Obtain DNS server addresses automatically. Restart your computer if you make any changes and try again. You may also need to delete your temporary Internet files and browser caches if the reboot doesn't fix it at first.

2) Check your Internet options to see if you're using a proxy server by going to Control Panel -> Internet Options -> "Connections" tab -> "LAN Settings" button. Ensure that nothing is ticked in that window. If you make any changes then restart your computer.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Easiest thing I think would to be to restore to before this intrusion. Can't see any ads on any BBC site (except for their own) and if it's not a malware program then it should cure it. That's supposing you have system restore enabled.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Can't see any ads on any BBC site"

I always thought that non-UK users were served ads on the BBC website. I just tried it out by going to bbc.co.uk via a proxy server in New York. I got the International version of the BBC website, but strangely, no advertisements.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Google search indicates that Firstrowsportsapp is similar to a virus and attaches adware to your browsers.

I suspect that there are extensions/add-ons lurking around. Surprised that malwarebytes hasn't found it. Suggest that you do a full anti-virus screen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes