We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop won't connect to BT WiFi automatically- Please help.

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a laptop with a wireless dongle. When it is started, it comes up with a message saying that it is connected to BT WiFi (which is what I usually connect with). 99% of the time when i open Firefox it connects first to the WiFi and automatically enters my details and I can surf from then on. However, all yesterday and today, the process is exactly the same apart from when i open Firefox it tries to connect to Google instead of the WiFi spot.

Please can i ask why this is and also what i can do to change this back? I have tried going to my history and double clicking on (three days ago) the the route it used to connect by (WiFi).

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello, anyone?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not very clear what you mean?

When you say "when i open Firefox it tries to connect to Google instead of the WiFi spot"

"it" are you saying the dongle disconnects from BT internet WiFi

and.. Nah, I still don't get what you mean, sorry.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

No problem. I should have been clearer. The dongle connects to the WiFi hotspot but when I open Firefox it usually gets 'hijacked' to go to the BT Fon WiFi log in page first and then on to Google after I have input my log in details.

Yesterday it was constantly just trying to connect to Google.....and obviously failing.

Weirdly, this morning I restarted the laptop and upon opening Firefox it went straight to the BT WiFi page. Obviously I am happy but I'd still like to know why I had the problems yesterday?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Is this router at your home? If so, why are you connecting to the hotspot part of the router, and not the usual?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Does it matter?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't get why you need to use a dongle with a laptop.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

The laptop is old and does not have wireless itself. Now, can we get back to the initial problem please, if that's ok?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Does it matter? As far as I'm aware, there is no log-in screen if you use the 'normal' output from a Homehub.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

should have added 'once you've put in the WiFi key and ticked auto the first time'.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Buel, I think the problem lies with the hotspot you're trying to connect to rather than a fault on your laptop. One possible cause is that the hotspot's DHCP server is a bit slow to issue you with an IP address. Or perhaps the hotspot's DNS server is not quick enough.

If it happens again, close all browsers, wait for a few seconds and try again. The chances are that you'll then get the BT Fon/WiFi landing page so you can login and start browsing normally.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia