We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Still no Sound from PC Speakers

mcheathen

Likes # 0

I updated the audio driver and checked to see that sound card was securly fitted, but still no sound. What else could be wrong?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

May suggest running Belarc Advisor, this is a free program which will tell you all about your PC and what is installed in it. You may then be able to answer the questions with more confidence.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I used to have a Time computer and this is what i used to use. Vynal Audio Driver.

It must be about 8 years old.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just something else to check.

When I had the Time computer my grandaughter turned the sound of using the keyboard.

Took me about 2 days to figure out why I was getting no sound.

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

@ Chronos the 2nd, yes it is an old PC which someone gave me to fix. The speaker cable is connected to the green socket and the speaker icon is shown and the volune controls work OK. Could right in assuming that this type of PC will only output sound on a special pair of speakers which plug into two separate sockets, i.e. the green and the pink one?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The Green one is Sound coming out.

The Pink one is to plug a microphone in. (the sound from microphone goes in to the computer)

Have you checked if there is an off/on button on one of the speakers?

Have you tried with different set of speakers that you know to be in working order?

Do you have any earphones that you can try in the green socket?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

OK can you right click the speaker icon in the system tray and then click on Playback devices, it might be helpful if you have a bit of music playing or a Youtube video before doing this.It does not matter at the moment that you cannot hear anything.

You should see an indication of the sound playing in Playback devices and to the left of this indication it will tell you the name of the playback device. I have a choice of three on mine. Speakers,Monitor and AMD HDMI output. There is a green tick in speakers which means that is the device that is playing sounds on my PC. What is showing in your PC?

I must tell you that I am running Windows 7,I suspect that the PC you are trying to sort has XP as it's operating system but I think it is pretty similar.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just another daft one but it has happened before.

Check that the speakers are plugged in and switched on also check that the volume on the speakers is turned on and yes it goes into the green socket.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features