We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Still no Sound from PC Speakers

mcheathen

Likes # 0

I updated the audio driver and checked to see that sound card was securly fitted, but still no sound. What else could be wrong?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Do you get sound by removing the sound card and plugging the audio cable into the onboard sound card?

What motherboard have you?

What sound card have you?

what is your operating system?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check- volume is not set to zero

nothing is muted

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

The PC is a Hercules V1.5 and runs on XP Home Ed. I don't know motherboard, yet.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Have you disabled the onboard sound in device manager?

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

No I never disabled the onboard sound in device manager. I don't understand how that would resolve the problem?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Please answer Chronos the 2nd's question: Do you get sound by removing the sound card and plugging the audio cable into the onboard sound card?

Have you ever had sound and then it suddenly stopped?

Please try to answer every question clearly and in detail as each step/setting has to be checked (even though it's a pain)

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

@lotvic,

The audio ports connect to the on-board sound card. There is a card below this, which I assume is the sound card, but no I have not yet removed it.

BTW two of the audio ports are for two individual speakers. The speakers I used only had one plug connected to the two speakers. Does this make any difference?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I cannot find a PC called Hercules V1.5. Who is this made by? You should have a sticker on your pc giving make/model number. Please try and find the info, it is far easier to offer advice when we have all the information that the right PC will give us.

You are plugging your Audio cable in to the green socket?

Like this post
mcheathen

Likes # 0

@ Chronos the 2nd, the PC is a TIME Hercules V1.5. The only info I have on the motherboard is from 'Motherboard resources' which says 'Device Instance Id' and has the following code underneath it: ACPI\PNP0C02\4&3656B0&0. The actual motherboard itself does not have any labels on it identifying its make, but there is a golden coloured component on the middle of the board with MSI AGP 8X on it.

Yes the audio cable in to the green socket, but the card underneath the on-board audio card must be the video card, because I later found that the VGA socket attaches to it. So there must only be an on-board audio card.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I still cannot find anything about the PC but am I right to assume it is an old PC? Did time not go out of business years ago?

If you have the cable from your speakers connected to the green socket then that is correct.

Do you have the speaker icon showing in the system tray? Which is at the bottom right hand side next to the clock.

Yes that is a VGA card which is why I am suggesting that the PC is quite old as VGA for graphics is not used any more and has not been for years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September