We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Java security exploit concerns.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If anyone has any concerns about the continued problems with Java exploits you might want to follow these instructions.

Windows Secrets.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

... and you could have a read of this...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Not quite the same info, but I concede your point.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Apparently the main mechanism of infection for the recent spate of ransomare infections is via outdated Java installations so I've been following that advice and removing it from the PCs of vulnerable users.

It's also worth pointing out that Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader exploits are still very common so it's important to make sure those two are always kept up-to-date.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Unfortunately the latest update for it is also suspect so either best removing it or switching it off.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Morning Jock1e

When you say "it", what are you referring to?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Java.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm still running without Java and nothing seems broken yet.

more flaws

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Jock1e, I have been removing Java ;)

For those that need to have Java installed because a certain website requires it then the best advice is to disable it in all browsers except for one and only use that browser for visiting those sites that require Java.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I have uninstalled it from Control Panel and disabled it in Firefox Plug ins.

If needed I could probably enable it again in Firefox.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just been up my daughters house and ran an scan with Eset and it came up with the java exploit Virus.

I had deleted Java while waiting for the scan to run and Eset could not remove it completely as some of it was still in use.

Now if I remember correctly my daughter needs Java to run so that she can remotely hook up with her work when working from home.

So looks like I will have to download the latest version and hope for the best.

I had to leave the scan running as I had to go out but will check with her later to see if the problem has gone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...