We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Java security exploit concerns.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If anyone has any concerns about the continued problems with Java exploits you might want to follow these instructions.

Windows Secrets.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks for this info. I checked my Firefox 18.1 plugins and found that Firefox had already blocked my use of Java. I've now clicked on Disable plugin and will follow through on the advice in threads and links.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus.

I tried the disable for all browsers option in your link. It appears that you need the latest version (7.11) to get this option in the security tab.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

2nd scan on my daughters computer came up clean with Eset.

Will give it another scan today as I had her download Java again as I believe she needs it for connecting to work from home.

Now if you use Firefox this is a tool from Eset.

Security

Now the beauty of this tool using Firefox is after the scan is finished do not remove the tool but just switch off using the red X.

That way the tool stays on your computer and if you have any trouble again just search for it and run it again.

It will automatically update before it runs.

I managed to put an Icon on the desktop for it so it was easy to get to.

I am not saying use it all the time but maybe use it occasionally if you think you may have problems.

We don't use it anymore as we bought Eset smart5 and use that now.

Like this post
savim

Likes # 0

This was the problem on my daughters computer.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxx xxxxx\Local Settings\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\35\57c07e23-45918129 » ZIP » toe.class - a variant of Java/Exploit.CVE-2012-5076.L trojan - was a part of the deleted object

Like this post
savim

Likes # 0

Sorry should have signed it as Jock1e.used my daughters sign in.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bris, have a look in the Advanced tab, under 'Default Java for browsers' and you can untick there.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Lotvic

Downloaded V7.11 and did it from there before your post but thanks for the tip.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014