We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do I make recovery disks on sony vaio

laptopdunce
Resolved

Likes # 0

I tried once to make recovery disks for my Sony Vaio laptop but didnt have enough DVD- disks to complete the process, now I have the right DVD- disks I cant seem to get the Sony vaiocare to open up the part which allows me to make the 4 DVD- disks recovery disks, why cant I get it to open and how do I get it to just open the part where it prompts me through the process of making the recovery disks? when I open up the Sony vaio care page from the start button, it always says there is a Sony vaio update (but it will never install it properly, even though I am online) and if I put in "make recovery disks) in the help box I get a page about the sony vaio recovery centre and an option to "create recovery disks" and others for "restore C drive" etc., but when I click on these headings nothing happens, I am totally stumped!! what can I do?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

I have a vague recollection of seeing somewhere in Help (or whatever it's called) a comment that you can have only one attempt at making the recovery discs. After that I think that you have to buy a set from Sony. I have another vague recollection that I nearly fell foul of this but fortunately had not started the process so was OK. I might be confusing this with my other (HP) computer, though. I think that the best idea is to contact Sony support.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

I seem to be wrong. Try this:

Start > Help and Support > Recovery > Create Recovery discs > (Left side) Create recovery discs > (Scroll down and across if necessary) Start > Next > (choose option) Next and then follow instructions.

Hope this is OK.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

The options to create recovery disks is allowed once only in major manufacturers oem OSs. The thing is, with HP it will allow you to continue the operation from the last point if you run out of DVDs. I don't know about Sony. One thing I could suggest, as it's new and you don't have many programs installed, is to use the recovery partition to start again. Check out 'recovery manager' or words to that effect to see how you can restore to factory reset using the (used to be) hidden partition. Start again and when you need to burn the DVDs make sure you have more than enough of them in case one or two don't verify.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I managed to figure it out, I shut everything down and then found that in the "vaio care" it is in the "advanced tab" seems a barmy place to put it as a novice would have NO IDEA to look in there, stupid system in my opinion, my acer was far simpler, anway got all the 4 DVD-'s done now thanks, LAPTOPDUNCE (it self verifed too but took a very long time to make the disks, but sony warned of that)

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

There is also a problem with the Vaio updates, when I open up the vaio care programme I always get a message saying "updates available for vaio care" and when I click on the install updates it shows a panel at the bottom saying downloading but they NEVER download, the "meter" on this downloading panel just gones on and on for ages and ages, and then after about an hour it says "unable to download updates, please try later" - what can be wrong here?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE - PS should I post this question as a new topic??

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

Glad that you got it sorted out. The Sony help system is not very clear, to put it mildly.

Yes, you really should start a new thread for the other matter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen