We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to solve printer roller problems

Kerri18

Likes # 0

Hi i own a Canon Pixma MP160 Printer i have had this for 5 years. Recently when i print the paper moves down a little bit then stops i get a message that the printer is out of paper with the letter E on the display and then the number 2 after re-adjusting the paper it says the same thing it is as if the roller isn't taking the paper down could you help many thanks Kerri

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If the printer has been used for 5 years the possibility is that the roller traction is deficient, due to wear on the roller rubber.

Like this post
Kerri18

Likes # 0

can this be solved thanks

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Kerri18,

Sometimes dust and/or paper dust can accumulate on the rollers causing the paper to slip due to lack of traction.

As the Forum Editor has indicated this can be due to age, but I have found that by running some clean, light-weight card, with a little isopropyl alcohol sprinkled on it, through the printer, can clean the rollers a little and improve traction.

You should be able to obtain isopropyl alcohol at the chemist for a few pounds for 250ml so to try this shouldn't cost a fortune.

Peter.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Try cleaning the roller with a little Methylated Spirit on a soft cloth. Cheaper and more easily obtainable than Isopropyl Alcohol and should do the job. If the rollers are shiny try rubbing GENTLY with a Scotchbright scourer.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A printer of 5 years old can often pick up little problems as described, and possible solutions are those already suggested. Check also, if any 'spring loaded catches and levers' in the internals are not sticking, but this can be an easy or difficult task, depending on how you go about it.

Isopropyl Alcohol is a regular used applicant, but chemist shops are by no means the cheapest. For what some charge for a 250ml bottle, which usually requires ordering, I can purchase far bigger quantities delivered for just slightly more. Check out eBay.

Due to the low costs of budget printers nowadays, I would tend to look at a new purchase, instead of an expensive repair.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015