We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A diiferent(?) 'Backup and Restore' problem!!

Housten

Likes # 0

Dear Sirs,

Good Afternoon,

My computer uses with Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium, and has 4 GB ram. I had thought of including this in ‘Marg114’s query of ‘Backup and restore no longer works’ as I a have a similar problem, but now I am not so sure! Some time ago I wanted to do a system restore, it didn’t work.

In ‘Control Panel’ the icon was there but nothing happened when I ‘clicked’ on it. Since then there has been no change. So since then – being brain dead – I have tried to do a fix/repair from the original Microsoft discs from which Windows 7 was installed – THREE times. It states that there is nothing wrong. Then I saw northumbria61’s answer and so I thought that it was at least worth a try. Well ‘Volume Shadow Copy Service’ was on manual, so I changed that to automatic, but I have not re-booted my system. The reason for this is that I tried to follow the second piece of northumbria61’s advice and turn ‘System Restore Service’ on. It was not listed!!

What I have in ‘Services.msc’ is:-

In Standard I have ( in sequence ): SSDP Discovery Superfetch System Event Notification Service Tablet PC Input Service

In Extended I have ( in sequence ) exactly the same as in ‘Standard’! So no ‘System Restore Service’ is even listed in either section. I then decided that I should find out if my wife’s laptop ( Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium, exactly the same OS as mine ) had it. So I checked in her ‘Control Panel’ first and ‘Backup and Restore’ was there with the usual icon and it worked. So then I checked her ‘Services.msc’ and I am now really confused, because it is exactly the same as mine!!

So my query now is: In Windows 7 does anyone know what I should do to be able to turn on ‘Backup and Restore’ and/or how – if necessary – to re-install it in Windows and where I would get it from? Using the original disc is no good – after all it just says everything is OK – but it, fairly obviously, is not, so if I want it to work I will need to get it elsewhere.

Thanking you in anticipation and if anyone needs any further information I will do my best to supply this.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I am not absolutely sure what you are trying to do,is it this? or this.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd,

What I would like to be able to do is to get my system Restore working again! In 'Control Panel' the 'Backup and Restore' icon - at least as far as I understands it - not only allows you to make backups of your system, something I have given up on as ms options and programme are not that good in my opinion, but also does the system restore points. When I click on the icon nothing happens! Oh! occasionally the arrow on the circle goingv round appears for a revolution, but then nothing. As I think being able to restore to a particular date is a useful option I would like to be able to get this back, but nothing I have tried so far has the slightest effect! Why - or even how - this went 'walkabout' I have not got a clue, butv as the fix/repair option using the original disc states there is nothing wrong I have come to the conclusion that the programme is still there but it has been turned off somehow. I am just trying to find a way to get it back! If not I would like to be able to download - and install, obviously - another copy of the programme, although integrating it into Windows might not be that easy - or even possible. So when I saw ‘Marg114’s query I leapt at the reply from northumbria61, but that did not work, which is why I started this post.

I hope this is what you were after, but if not please let me know!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you tries switching system restore off, rebooting and switching it back on? Control panel, system, advances system setting (on the left), system protection tab, select C:\ then the configure tab. Switch off, apply, OK. Reboot and do the same again but switch on.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It may be important to note that System Restore, if I understand it correctly, does not backup your system and enable it to be restored - it's different from the Backup and Restore option for Windows 7. It doesn't back up programs, files and so on - it simply allows you to set your PC back to a time (a System Restore point) when it worked properly in the event that you've accidentally done something that's caused it to fail in some way. It's a completely different thing to backing up your system.

Apologies if grandmother/suck/eggs...

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Housten, Windows 7 doesn't have a "System Restore" service so you can stop worrying about that one.

What happens when you go to Control Panel -> System -> System Protection (left-hand pane) and then click the big "System Restore" button? Does it open correctly?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Main thing it restores is the Registry

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen, Good afternoon,

And many thanks to all who posted.

rdave13 and Secret-Squirrel,

When I looked at your posts they seemed to suggest much the same thing, so I thought I would look at the suggested options first. Now I must have done something on Monday - I do not and can not remember what - because when I looked at 'the big "System Restore" button' suggested by Secret-Squirrel there was a date listed!! I was completely stumped by this, because there was only the one and it was dated '21/1/13'! So I shut down my computer, booted it up and went to 'Windows Updates'. There were zero important but 4 optional updates. Three were ones I wouldn't touch, but the fourth was for an 'Optical Trackball' - which I have - so I updated to see and, sure enough, it made a 'Restore Point'! When it had finished I checked and I now have TWO restore points, different, but still there! [ If anyone is interested I do not understand the difference between them. The one listed as '21/1/13' under 'Type' states it is 'system', whereas today's – 24/1/13 - states 'install' – why the difference? Not a clue!!! ]

Anyway it all opened up, and worked correctly - obviously - so I have at least the 'Restore Point' system working again. Thanks to Ian in Northampton for conforming what I thought was the difference between 'System' and 'Backup and Restore'. Although I thought I knew the difference, I sometimes get confused between them and I can say anything, mostly rubbish, it would appear!!!!!

Anyway having completed the restoration -???!! - Of the 'system restore' I decided to try 'Backup and Restore' in 'Control Panel'. [ There is one thing that happens, and I do not know if it has any relevance. For some time now whenever I click on ‘Control Panel’ it opens up, mostly as a full page, but about 50% of the time a dialogue box opens up, a black rectangle, within the dialogue box, goes across the screen – I forget what the box is called, but I will try and remember to let you know tomorrow – and when the black square stops the whole of the ‘Control Panel’ just disappears. When this happens it does so at least once, but it has happened 3 times on the trot before now. ] Anyway, I then clicked on the ‘Backup and Restore’ icon, and ( almost ) nothing, the left and double click gave me nothing but right clicking brought up a box with 3 options. It didn't matter which I clicked nothing happened! I would like to get this working as well so if anyone has any ideas as to how I could accomplish this, I would be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...