We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Netgear wireless adapters

Garb

Likes # 0

Win7 64-bit Orange brightbox router Netgear WPN111 and WG111T wireless adapters. Have downloaded the win7 drivers for both adaters from netgear site and some that were posted by a guy called Ryan. Both (one at a time)adapters show in device manager as working OK. Both show up in Network and Sharing centre as there and enabled under "change adapter settings. However do not get wireless symbol on system tray and when I try to set up a wireless connection my brightbox doesn't show. Is there a setting in the router I am missing, or are netgear adapters just a load of rubbish? Currently using a hard wired connection to PC from router, but would like to move to another room. Have tried the netgear software with wizard and just updating the drivers with the driver files only. Latest development is the netgear driver installation wizard will not comlete saying a .Dll is missing.

Have I missed something obvious although reading previous posts it seems many people are having similar problems.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

In device manager it should show your wired connection and your wireless connection.What does it show for the wireless connection.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I seem to have lost the plot have you got two wireless adapters plugged in at the same time.

And do you have a modem or is the router a wireless modem.

Like this post
Garb

Likes # 0

Have tried to connect the adapter with both wired and wireless together and wireless connection on its own. Same result. The brightbox is a wireless router, but have been using it hard wired to the PC whilst i try to establish a wireless network. Have enabled USBIf I disconnect the hard wired connection it shows a wireless icon in the system tray which says no connections available and not connected. I never have seen other wireless networks on the PC even when running on my old pc and using winXP, or even my ipad. I think the houses are spaced out a bit too much in my lane. In properties for the wireless connection it shows all the right services, protocols and clients loaded, but no IPv4 or IPv6 connectivity. Win 7 diagnostics says there may be a problem with the driver. I am definitely using the win 7 including 64 bit driver from the netgear website. Have Wifi protected setup enabled on router but have also tried with it disabled. When trying to connect with this get a setup error message.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the info.

It's possible that your adapters, or perhaps their drivers, were designed for the US market where they use wireless channel numbers 1 to 11. In the UK our routers can operate on channels 12 and 13 as well. If your router is broadcasting on channel 12 or 13 then that could account for why it's invisible to Windows 7. I've certainly encountered that problem before.

Log into your router, look at the wireless settings and ensure it's using a channel number in the 1 -11 range.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried phoning the free phone number for help.

Help

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Jock1e, the OP has mentioned that his ISP is Orange so I don't see how a £50 service for TalkTalk members will help.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

Good job you pointed that out I thought it was part of talk talk.

Thanks for letting me know.

So Garb ignore my last post.Sorry.

Like this post
Garb

Likes # 0

Channel 6 in use and selection set to auto.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features