We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Netgear wireless adapters

Garb

Likes # 0

Win7 64-bit Orange brightbox router Netgear WPN111 and WG111T wireless adapters. Have downloaded the win7 drivers for both adaters from netgear site and some that were posted by a guy called Ryan. Both (one at a time)adapters show in device manager as working OK. Both show up in Network and Sharing centre as there and enabled under "change adapter settings. However do not get wireless symbol on system tray and when I try to set up a wireless connection my brightbox doesn't show. Is there a setting in the router I am missing, or are netgear adapters just a load of rubbish? Currently using a hard wired connection to PC from router, but would like to move to another room. Have tried the netgear software with wizard and just updating the drivers with the driver files only. Latest development is the netgear driver installation wizard will not comlete saying a .Dll is missing.

Have I missed something obvious although reading previous posts it seems many people are having similar problems.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check in SERVICES to see if WLAN AutoConfig is running - if not START the service.

Like this post
Garb

Likes # 0

Yes it is running and on auto

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Netgear products are normally very good. Try disabling the adapter, rebooting and reinstalling. Is there any indication as to which .DLL is missing?

Like this post
Garb

Likes # 0

Driver (downloaded from Netgear as a Win 7compatible drver) details in device manager show date of 29/7/2008. If this is a win7 driver doesn't the date shown predate windows 7? Have had no luck with uninstalling in safe mode and reinstalling. The wirless connection shows up but will not find my router (brightbox)the light on the adapter flashes as it should. Router and dapter work OK with my old PC with XP on it so the router and adapter are pysically oK.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I have never ever had to download drivers for adapters.Plug them in start the computer and Microsoft updates them for you.

Have you tried turning the router off for 10 seconds and on again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you had a look in here to see if you can find anything that can help.

Orange Bright-box

Like this post
Garb

Likes # 0

The Orange website just assumes that if you plug in a wireless adapter that the wireless connection will appear and you will be able to sign in the first time around, which in my case is not happening. The fact that Netgear have had to release Win7 drivers on their site suggests they are not an integral part of win7. To recap, no change and the adapter still not connecting but showing as working properly in device manager. I have found quite a few instances of problems with win7 and the netgear WPN111 on the net. I'm obviously not alone but few if any instances of being able to make it work.

Like this post
Garb

Likes # 0

Is this relevant? Router settings are set to Broadcast SSID, so why does win7 not see the brightbox name when trying to set up wireless connection? I click on the network connections and then on the wireless connection (in change adaptor settings) and after selecting "connect to" it just goes straight to the internet connection icon telling me I am already connected to the internet (wired connection). What could cause this. Security is set to mixed mode (WPA + WPA2)which other posts say is the one to use. I tried WEP without success either.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Are you still connected by cable as well as tring to connect by Wireless. Or did you remove the cable or wire connection and still get the same results.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"so why does win7 not see the brightbox name when trying to set up wireless connection?"

Do you see any other wireless networks in the list such as your neighbour's? If you don't then would you expect to see some?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...