We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Faulty PSU or M/board plugs?

mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Installed m/board,new Ram and CPU in sons PC. Fairly sure it was working ok. Then he decided he wanted a new PSU so he could upgrade his GPU to my old one. Installed a new 700w PSU, and now when you turn it on it goes on and off very quickly , usually 3 times (about every 2 seconds) without the monitor having time to come on. Once it's on though it runs well,even with long periods of playing new PC games. Very occasionally it may start first time. I know that with the reset and power switch on the m/board, the polarity shouldn't matter as they only need to complete a circuit.Or could they cause these sympoms? The other strange thing is that the power light on the case doesn't come on. I'm fairly sure i plugged them all in correctly as they are clearly marked. My only doubt is with the power swith and reset switch, as on the m/board header there is a dummy pin slot, although ,again i'm fairly sure i didn't use it. Should i just return the PSU to Maplin? I know i could just swap back the PSU, but time will be tight on Saturday when i get there as Maplin is a fair way away, so i need to know what to expect,and what the possibilities are. The M/board is an Asrock pro4-m

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

It may be that you have incorrectly connected the front case connectors and you have somehow shorted the Reset contacts so it boots and immediately resets. The fact that you also have no power light leads to the same conclusion. Look in the M/B manual and ensure they are correctly connected. There should be a diagram of the connections in the manual but sometimes they are so small they are difficult to read. To confirm just disconnect every connection except the Power on/of, which as you say just shorts two pins together to signal the PSU that it should start up.

Also check that the second PSU connector is well seated on the M/B.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Thanks Alan. Just to get it straight in my mind. If i do just leave the power swicth in place, what will i expect to see when i power up if, A. it has been wrongly connected, or B. it hasn't been wrongly connected. Also, what if i just disconnest the reset switch? Would that sort it?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 1

Hi If you just have the Power switch connected and the others disconnected then if connected correctly the computer will power up and act as normal except you will not have the Power LED light, the reset will not work and the Hard Drive LED will not work. None are essential to the working of the computer. If not connected correctly the computer will not power up at all. I suggested all except the power wires simply to ensure that you had not incorrectly installed any of the others. If the computer works as it should you now know what was causing the problem and can recheck that the others are installed correctly. To be honest I always enlarge the drawing in the motherboard manual so that I can read it easily. It is also easy to think it has been installed on the correct pin and find that it has not so been installed, they are so fiddly. Can't actually tell you which pins to use for what as it changes between motherboard brands and models.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Do you have the 4 pin ATX power connector inserted? I know it is a perhaps daft question but it would not be the first time I have forgotten or not connected it firmly.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

chronos Yes i plugged the 4 pin ATX power connector where it should be according to the manual. Though i did almost forget LOL. Looking at the manual i have found another diagram that has a line from the p/switch and reset to there positive and ground plugs. These go across the header as opposed to vertical like all the other connectors. Not sure if it would make a differance as it's still just positive and ground/negative in both cases. Anyway. I will take a look and implement your advice and let you know the result.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Oh dear!

Well that must have been the worse attempt at installing a M/board that i have ever done. And i've done a fair few. Although my eyes arn't what they used to be. lol! The power LED pins had come out. Probably when i was connecting the numerous other wires in the case. Also, the power switch and reset pins were in the wrong place. Heaven knows how i managed that. At least it wasn't the new PSU,M/board or CPU that he bought. Thanks alan. You were right about the pins. All sorted. !:O)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do